What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual + Repairs & Mods

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
As we all know, a Van’s is never completed… November being annual inspection time, it’s a perfect occasion to repair stuff and do mods while the airplane is stripped of fairings and panels.

One thing I changed is the oil filter. While confident it will do its job, I’ll keep a close eye on it. I still have “regular” Tempest filters on hand but following the COVID filter “crisis”, I wanted an alternative. This is a PS4 FLO reusable filter with a pressure relief valve. Similar to the K&P S15 filter that will be tested, (this thread) thanks to Dan and all that participated. Will read with interest the results of those tests.
IMG_8856.JPG

Changed the orientation of the outer gear bolts. No more removing the gear tower panels, disconnecting the fuel vent lines, removing six screws, removing the control stick, removing the front seats and enlist a helper to check the torque of 4 nuts… Instead of a couple hours and some un-publishable words, I estimate 15 minutes now for that (solo) job. Only down side, the bolts and nuts stick out of the fairings. I will (maybe) cover them when temperatures get warmer here.
IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_9004.JPG

While on the subject of gear bolts, when checking torque of the inner ones, my helper over-torqued one nut, stripping it. My fault, I assumed he knew how to operate a torque wrench. The nut had to be cut as it was spinning but not retreating. Not easy to access, a nut splitter couldn’t reach, used a Dremel and a drill. Lesson learned, always make sure your helper knows what’s he/she is doing.
IMG_8887.jpg

Another repair that I was putting off, the #3 and #4 cylinder head oil return fittings were seeping lightly. The injectors had to be removed before removing the fittings, cleaning and Loctite paste.
IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

A front baggage door hinge was added.
IMG_8982.jpg

Aileron pushrod boots were fabricated and installed in the hope of reducing the rush of cold air coming from under the floor.
IMG_9067.jpg

Lastly, inspired by commercial jets, I put temporary electrical tape strips on the flaps at 10 - 20 - 30 degrees in lieu of guessing their position. Cheapo but efficient. I have two versions, stair and ladder. Will test in flight, I already tend towards the stair setup for easier visual clue.
IMG_9011.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

Hoping for decent weather soon !!!

Back