What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle valve vs. IO-375 vs. IO-390

Darren S

Well Known Member
Like many others, I’m waiting for Vans to open the mall doors so we can all do the midnight rush to the -15 GameStop counter !

Like others too, I’m pricing out stuff and collecting bottles on my day off, because the prices have sure gone up lately.

I initially wanted the 390 like the prototype but I’m also open to other options. Parallel valve is out. I have that in my -7 and 180 hp is a good fit there, not here.

I have a call in for pricing on the 375 (205 hp) hmmm, not bad. Lighter so how will that affect CG loading ?

The good ole’ Angle valve is 200 hp, more available on the market, heavy enough, CS prop capable, cheaper (I don’t mind a good used engine with say 400 hours) …. Thoughts ? What are all you dreamers putting up front ?

- Darren

I’m in the same boat as you, found me an IO-390 that needed a tear down, only 300 hours TT. Snagged it and am playing with that until I have something else to work on.

Between the time it takes for Van's to release all the kits, and the time it will take to build, it seems very early to start collecting parts.

Jason: did you snag it up to make content, great price, ???

Between the time it takes for Van's to release all the kits, and the time it will take to build, it seems very early to start collecting parts.

Lycoming is advertising 36 months lead time for the 390 thunderbolt.

It was sort of serendipitous, I happened to stumble upon a smoking deal on a super low time 390, aside from needing a tear down inspection. Being an A/P, I knew I could save some serious coin doing it myself, and have something to tinker with while I wait for the Vans to start taking orders on the -15.
Since I’m also now making videos on my channel, I thought it could be fun to share as well, since I’m running out of projects on my 182 (well, not entirely true, there’s always something I can find to do with it!)

That said,
Here’s the latest in the 390 tear down series: part2, Top End
https://youtu.be/r5Jru2HQggc?si=qiTRAwIX0eGOKDUS

Back