What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN912 Fittings

rwtrwtau

Ok, Stupid question I know but this is driving me crazy. I have a pitot tube here that accepts a AN816-6D fitting (3/8 tube). I want to run 1/4 inch tube to the panel so I need a reducer that will screw into the pitot tube and allow me to install a AN816-4D fitting.

Which AN912 fitting do I purchase? I tried a 2D but that does not fit.

Thanks/Regards
Richard

That's strange. According to ACS a 2D is what you need, but this fitting doesn't seem to follow conventions. Normally a 2D is 1/8, a 4D is 1/4 a 6D is 3/8 etc. What size is the OD and ID on the 2D? Should be 3/8 and 1/4. Which part doesn't fit?

If no one else has the answer let me know and the next trip I make to Wick's I'll look at one.

Larry

If I am reading your message correctly, I think you are trying to adapt a pipe thread to a different size tube....

You don't need an adapter, just a different fitting.

An AN816-4-4D - for a mere $1.87.... :) will take the 1/4 pipe thread to a 1/4 aluminum line. I think that is the way you want to go.

Wicks has a good description of sizes here...

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/links/Wicks_Links/Fittings.pdf

good luck...

gil in Tucson

I purchased a pitot tube from SafeAir and it comes with a 3/16 tube on it for the pitot. The tubing in the wing kit is 1/4". I purchased an AN919-2D reducer and the appropriate flare fittings for each tube, flared each end of the two pieces of tubing and joined them with the reducer union. I believe it was a -4 for the 1/4" and a -3 for the 3/16" tubing. Works fine. I got all fittings from Wicks.

Gil - That's the same as the AN-919 reducer. Even says so on the page if you read the description. I have used both aviation as well as race car AN fittings and as far as I can tell, they are the same. Cost doesn't seem to be too much different, sometimes the racing parts are a little less, though.

In checking around a few yeas ago it seems that the only difference between the aircraft grade and automotive grade fittings is an additional inspection by the manufacturer. I never saw the criteria for that inspection but the probabilities are in your favor to go with the automotive version.

cl

Back