What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AmSafe SOARS Airbag Restraint System

mwtucker

I ran across an article online about AmSafe's SOARS Airbag Restraint System. I believe this was introduced at Sun-n-Fun in 2018? It is a system that has integral airbags in the shoulder harness and is supposedly capable of being installed/retrofitted in any aircraft with a 3-point harness. Not much out there on the internet about installs, but apparently these harnesses are used on many new certified aircraft.

Has anyone installed one or know any details? The price started out about $2500 (for 2 complete sets, pilot and copilot) but is now over $4,000.

Thanks in advance for any info. you may have.

Mike

They are standard equipment on all new Cessnas. In that configuration it fits on the lap belt and go across pretty much from hip to hip. The idea is that it would shoot upward like a side curtain airbag does on a car. I don't know if they have a different part for a 4/5 point harness, but I don't think that particular one would fit something with a center latch.

They are a bit stiff and don't allow for that portion of the belt to bend much, but aren't much bulkier than the seatbelt pads on a good set of shoulder belts. They weigh probably 1/2 a pound or so.

Also, the TSO'd ones are life limited to ten years.

Thanks Terry, very good information. I am hoping to communicate with at least one builder who has installed these... $4,132 for two belts is a lot more than the introductory Sun-n-Fun price around $2,500. But that was maybe 4 -5 years ago. I have a 3-point seatbelt (i.e. lap belt with single diagonal shoulder harness).

Back