What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I crazy to think I can fly to Oshkosh?

See ya

I plan to have my flight testing done and be flying in. Looking like Thursday arrival.

Thanks for all the feedback to this thread. Only need to survive the one landing. And the wait during departure…..

I think I will practice with Otto flying at 90 kts and 1800 feet.

I think I will practice with Otto flying at 90 kts and 1800 feet.

Practice at 75 kts too! In 2021, we got behind a biplane that was not keeping up with the speed requirements. We had to fly most of the arrival at 75 kts. In a FULLY loaded 10 with 4 adults and full of bags, my AOA was squawking most of the time. Traffic screen looked like a wreck on the interstate, clear ahead of us (except the one biplane), stacked up behind us.

It was fly exceptionally slow, or get out of line and start over.... Neither of those decisions were appealing.

Practice at 75 kts too! In 2021, we got behind a biplane that was not keeping up with the speed requirements. We had to fly most of the arrival at 75 kts. In a FULLY loaded 10 with 4 adults and full of bags, my AOA was squawking most of the time. Traffic screen looked like a wreck on the interstate, clear ahead of us (except the one biplane), stacked up behind us.

It was fly exceptionally slow, or get out of line and start over.... Neither of those decisions were appealing.

I had the exact same scenario, except not 4 people. It is tough, as if you dump out and go back, the whole line behind you is moving 75 kts. Just nowhere to go. I was HARD to resist the urge to pass him, as the screen was showing 5-10 miles in front of him with no planes.

I have nothing new to add but I'll echo what works for me:
Arrive the Friday before. We did Thursday once but we were on our own mostly.
Use 10 degrees of flaps if/when you're in heavy traffic.
Use your A/P to hold 1800 msl.
Welcome to Oshkosh.

So let me get this straight..... you guys think I need to read the Notam? �� Don't worry, I've already read it 4 times so far. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the use of autopilot. As was suggested by Scott I would think letting the plane hold the altitude would be a big help. I was planning on that. I will be practicing holding the altitude myself just in case something happens to my autopilot.
So the NOTAM for Oshkosh VFR Arrivals (plural) is over 30 pages long, over 40 frequencies. You read and understand all of it? Good for you. I recommend (and I do) print out (or have digital copy) accessible in cockpit as reference. I tape it up on glare-shield. I like paper, relevant pages (sans helicopter, ultralight, IFR, seaplane, jet, warbirds sections).

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/eaa-airventure-oshkosh-notam

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-...-/media/d9eae4c2f0424ab08a07c8bcd1493472.ashx

I can't count on both hands and feet, fingers and toes how many students or co-pilots said "yeah I read it" regarding IAP, SIDS, TAXI routes.... etc. Have a marked copy in cockpit in case your steel trap memory or iPad has a glitch.

If it is your first time, have a respect, it is VISUAL. As I suggested before YouTube has pilot posted videos of what FISK and Gravel Pit, RR look like at 1000' agl. You must LOOK out the canopy for other planes and ground references. So if you have a habit of staring at your glass display / GPS don't. This is head on swivel scan then glance inside then back out.

If you are not use to flying in loose trail close to other planes this might not be for you. You can NOT lose sight of the plane in front of you (or pass them if they are too slow). You can't crowd or lag.... If you are coming in with buddy in formation they allow that, but be well practice in formation flying and landing on same runway.

Have a PLAN to do a missed arrival and breakout of the gaggle because it all goes to heck and they turn pilots away, go to hold or get back in line or divert..... Airport may close due to incident or weather. Have FUEL and alternate airports planned.

I was not at show one year, following ADS-B and ATC communication. The conga line started West of Endeavor Bridge VFR Fisk transition. That is 50 (42NM) airmiles to touchdown. That is about 30 mins flying in trail with other planes. Again fly the VISUAL landmarks not GPS... THIS IS NOT A GPS ARRIVAL.

Also be ready and flexible. You might plan one runway and land another in the last minute of flight. Often they use two runways, Landing West (Railroad Transition) and North (Fisk Ave Transition) simultaneously. You won't know until Fisk (although you can hear what they are giving other pilots).

Don't make request. Take what they give you unless arrivals are slow with wide spaced. Point is don't get "Expectancy Paralysis". To make this work Pilots have to be flexible, accept changes (last moment) and follow instructions. As most know you NEVER talk on radio unless asked. The only acknowledge is wing waggle over FISK. On ground HAVE a PAPER with requested parking in BLOCK letters taped or held up in canopy to tell Marshaller's where you want to park. Generally they know what kind of plane you are driving and where to park you. However you may have special request. Again no radio. Marshaller's are not professional ATC and are volunteers, some may not even be pilots, so USE CAUTION following their instructions. They may drive you into a ditch.

Speed control is important. Most RV'ers know fast and faster. Practice slow flight (not that 90kts is slow flight), by flying 90 kts and 1000' AGL (airspace allowed). It is amazing how little power an RV needs to fly slow or get slowed. 90kts is not slow flight but slower than most RV'ers go until they are in the pattern on downwind before dropping flaps. It is 90kts TAS, not 100 not 80... You absolutely can not PASS people.

This is fun and not hard. It is so well organized and the best ATC FAA has are working. It works well, not hard. However there are pilots who are unprepared and unable or willing to follow directions. LAST LANDING... You really need to be able to make a SPOT landing, literally on colored DOT. At Oshkosh two aircraft may land at the same time on the same runway, one short one long or one really long. They may give you near dot and say fly (air taxi) to next dot. So practice low flight level over runway and touch down mid-field (runway length allowing). They also use simultaneously the main runway and parallel taxiway (skinny runway) during convention. Not hard but be mentally prepared to do things you never have done. Have a plan to do a balked landing or break out of arrival if it is not working. It may mean another 30 mins or they may work you back in.... Thus I like to go early in the morning and early in the week. ONCE ON THE FEILD and you want to go for a flight mid-week, have your parking spot, there is a procedure to come in from over the lake, but requires a briefing I recall.

Last edited:
Many great responses here. Just know it's not as doom and gloom as many are making it out to be.

Know how to fly 90kts on altitude and practice tight left and right patterns. Also spot landings and low flight further down the runway.

When on the cross country you are almost guaranteed to have some weather in your way so make sure you practice good ADM.

One thing I didn't really see mentioned is that if you go in early like you say the spacing will be 1-2 miles at the closest (very low stress). I have found that if it's busy or not the stress for me went away once I got in line. Stressful part is everyone converging on the same point and when it gets backed up because of a slow plane.

I did my first arrival around 200 hrs. You got this.

Back