What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum trim bit

Where can I find a trim bit for my router to cut aluminum skin on my airplane?
Any where. I used to be a millwright and we used steel and carbide blades and bits all the time to cut and remanufacture aluminum.
Carbide routers bit work wonders. Even the wood working ones with bearings on the end.
I will say if you use a carbide bit you might want to put a light coating of oil of some sort on so the chips don't plug up the teeth.
My luck varies FIXIT

Where can I find a trim bit for my router to cut aluminum skin on my airplane?
For my instrument panel, I found that the Dremel worked well with the #115 High Speed Cutter or the #9901 tungsten carbide rotary file/carving bit. The sanding stone bits did not work well. For large aluminum shaping, I used a Vixen file.

I use amanatool for my CNC router bits. The 1/4" shank with a 1/8 tip works well and will probably fit in a hand router.

Any where. I used to be a millwright and we used steel and carbide blades and bits all the time to cut and remanufacture aluminum.
Carbide routers bit work wonders. Even the wood working ones with bearings on the end.
I will say if you use a carbide bit you might want to put a light coating of oil of some sort on so the chips don't plug up the teeth.
My luck varies FIXIT
good suggestion with the oil

Back