What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Failure

Yes, they do that

I spoke with Bill about this. The plastic housing for the spade connectors on the back of the alternators can lead you to believe they are making good contact just from the friction force of the connector assembly itself. It helps to use needle nose pliers and give the spade connectors a little squeeze to tighten them and then put some dialectric grease on them to prevent corrosion.

Vic

we called Plane Power and...

described the symptoms of our failure (gradually diminishing charge rate, occasional kicking off of the field breaker, working okay after a reset for a while, then a repeat). the expert told us its likely in need of brushes and the regulator assembly that comes with it. so we plan to rebuilt via a regulator brush assembly from aircraft spruce that sells for fifty dollars. will advise if that doesn't work out in a couple of weeks, when we finish the condition inspection and rebuilt.

described the symptoms of our failure ...
Honestly, I didn't notice it in flight. (I know, poor scan technique.)

I had flown 3.1 the week prior with no issues. Pulled the plane out a week later and it wouldn't start. Put a charger on it and started it up, hoping it would charge. It did not, so removed the alternator, thinking for sure that was the problem. Lots of "joy" there because those things are costly.

After reinstalling it and exercising the breaker a bunch of times all is good.

Back