What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ALTERNATOR CONFIGURATION & LSE IGNITION.

Graham

hi All,

I am close to first engine runs on my RV6, 0-320-D1A & FP Sensenich prop with the RH Mag replaced by a Light Speed Plasma II+ system. The LSE Manual states that when their systems are installed the alternator must have over voltage protection.

I have a Vans supplied (in 1999) 60A alternator.

There has been much written about the need (or not) for separate overvoltage protection with some electronic systems. I have studied much of it but currently rather confused.

My question is simple.

Has anybody flown this combination of alternator & any LSE Electronic Ignition system? If so, have you had any bad experiences due to, or thought to be due to, overvoltage?
Plse advise your config & experiences, good or bad.

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

many thanks in advance
Graham
New Zealand

hi All,

I am close to first engine runs on my RV6, 0-320-D1A & FP Sensenich prop with the RH Mag replaced by a Light Speed Plasma II+ system. The LSE Manual states that when their systems are installed the alternator must have over voltage protection.

I have a Vans supplied (in 1999) 60A alternator.

There has been much written about the need (or not) for separate overvoltage protection with some electronic systems. I have studied much of it but currently rather confused.

My question is simple.

Has anybody flown this combination of alternator & any LSE Electronic Ignition system? If so, have you had any bad experiences due to, or thought to be due to, overvoltage?
Plse advise your config & experiences, good or bad.

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

many thanks in advance
Graham
New Zealand

Hi Graham;

I built an RV7A in 2006 & it had dual LSE & the alternators Vans used to sell, but discontinued. The LSE is a long story, but in regards to the alternator, I will post the internal regulator I changed out here for you.

I can go into greater detail, but these internal regulators are either C, D, or S. IIRC the Vans used to supply the 60 amp Denso with a regular “D” ,, Dummy Lug & I have swapped these out to a Toyota Forklift regulator the is an “S” ,, Sensor

Here are the “Specs”;

The 60 amp Alternator Vans used to sell;

Nippon Denso - Lester #14684

The internal regulator I choose to swap to;

Transpo IN256 “Sensor”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115173234279

Hi Graham;

I built an RV7A in 2006 & it had dual LSE & the alternators Vans used to sell, but discontinued. The LSE is a long story, but in regards to the alternator, I will post the internal regulator I changed out here for you.

I can go into greater detail, but these internal regulators are either C, D, or S. IIRC the Vans used to supply the 60 amp Denso with a regular “D” ,, Dummy Lug & I have swapped these out to a Toyota Forklift regulator the is an “S” ,, Sensor

Here are the “Specs”;

The 60 amp Alternator Vans used to sell;

Nippon Denso - Lester #14684

The internal regulator I choose to swap to;

Transpo IN256 “Sensor”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115173234279

Yes... Would you, please.

Back