What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Belt Alignment Issue

it's worse than that...

I did buy both the engine and FWF kit thru Vans. I had read Bob's thread and called Vans before ordering to make sure there wouldn't be a problem. The person I spoke to (can't remember who) confirmed that all their YIO-540s were coming with the dual groove flywheel because of the sales volume from Brazil but that they were aware of the alternator issue and that it had been addressed in the FWF kit. Apparently, that person was misinformed.
On the bright side, maybe I can return one of the THREE sets of exhaust gaskets I ended up with, to cover some of the cost :p

alignment

I have just received my yio540 with the dual groove flywheel. I received ff kit 6months earlier and it all aligned correctly.

Thanks Bob for your hard work...

Sure about that? Mine looked ok for the longest time until the prop was torqued on and the flywheel was locked into position.

Just another data point.

When I ordered my Light Speed ignition system, I wanted the new mini sensor setup that uses a magnet ring bolted to the flywheel. Klaus told me the ring would not work with dual grove flywheel and I would need the single belt one. When I ordered my YIO540 from Vans, I requested the single grove flywheel and that is what came with it.

My FWF kit and engine were both ordered about 5 months ago. The alternator did not align ( no surprise). I took .063 off the front bushing and it appears to be right.

Back