What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AK42-H Sealed Pull Rivets

HFS

Well Known Member
These are the "Pop" rivets used in some of the older builds on the tanks to close out the rear (forward facing flange) baffle - between the baffle flanges and tank skin.

Their shorter "brother", AK41-H's are a used for repair of "leaking" rivets between the tank skin & rib - but with a little "modification" I make to become an "Oops" rivet replacing the -3 bucked rivet from the original build.

Sometimes the standard size AK41's & 2's can be hard to come by.

Hansen Rivet & Supply Co. (Pacoima, CA) is my supplier and will sell in small quantities.

YMMV - with other suppliers, but Hansen has them.

HFS

Last edited:
I did a few tanks this spring and couldn't get the AK42's. I did some research on the milspec and found that most of the retail rivets where not the same alloy. However, the POP brands rivets use the same alloy as the milspec and therefore a reasonable substitute.

Attached is the page from the POP FASTENERS catalog showing the "Closed-End Sealing Rivets" specs for the AK4.H series -

These rivets are 5056 Aluminum Rivets w/Carbon Steel Mandrel & 120* Countersunk Head.

So the AK series nomenclature is a POP branded P/N.

And just to be clear - the -41's are correct for rib to skin interface; and, the -42's are for the older style tank (rear baffle flanges facing forward) where the combined thickness of this joint (forward facing baffle flange to skin) exceeds the allowable grip length of the -41 (1/16").

HFS

Last edited:
Pic I Forgot

This attachment should have been included with the previous post - Thx

Attachments

• POP - AK41H & AK42H.jpg
    POP - AK41H & AK42H.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 57
Attached is the page from the POP FASTENERS catalog showing the "Closed-End Sealing Rivets" specs for the AK4.H series -

These rivets are 5056 Aluminum Rivets w/Carbon Steel Mandrel & 120* Countersunk Head.

So the AK series nomenclature is a POP branded P/N.

And just to be clear - the -41's are correct for rib to skin interface; and, the -42's are for the older style tank (rear baffle facing forward) where the combined thickness of this joint exceeds the allowable grip length of the -41 (1/16").

HFS

Sorry, I mis spoke. I bought the AH-42's (dome head) as those are what is used on the rear baffle as well as cover plates. I was re-sealing via a removed rear baffle and didn't need any AK's. The pop's in AH are also 5056.

Last edited:
Back