What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft spruce 3003 tubing question

JoeB

Below is the listing for the soft tubing VANS sells us from the Spruce website.

What is a Safety Factor of 2???

3003-O VERSATUBE
Soft aluminum tubing for instrument air and vacuum lines, fuel and oil lines, and primer lines

If mfg test reports are required there is a minimum $15.00 charge per order. Charge is higher if more than 5 items. P/N is ?certs? - please indicate at time of order in the special instructions box.

*Safety factor of 2.

That is a footnote to their table on max working pressures for each diameter/wall thickness.

For instance, they are claiming that the 3/8" diameter, .035" wall tubing is suitable for a max working pressure of 520 psi, and that there is a safety factor of 2 on that pressure. Meaning it will fail at around 1040 psi.

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

Well the lawyers answer is , well . . . 2.

Note that it is referring to the working pressure column. That means that pressure is 1/2 of the yield stress.

I always thought it meant you should order twice as much as you think you'll need because you'll be making a lot of scrap. :)

20100424_scraps.jpg

If that's the case, Matt, my "safety factor" would be somewhere between 3-4. Maybe higher.

That must mean I'm EXTRA safe! :D

Back