What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft extras flap and trim system

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Has anyone any experience with the Aircraft extras FPS-Plus+. Im thinking of using the system to control the flaps and elevator trim and incorporating the airspeed relay system to change the trim rate at high speed.

Any positive or negative thougths would be appreciated.

Many thanx.

I have built several RV's now and don't really find it necessary to have anything other than the standard electric trim that Van's supplies.

I have flown several RVs and you absolutly don't need this stuff to complicate things. Hit the flap switch count three seconds = 1/2 flaps. Hold it down another 3 secs or so and full. Trim change is negligable. I would also go with manual trim as it keeps it simple and is very effective. Don

Flap system

I installed the trim system before I had flown an RV, and now I see that it was not necessary. It's so easy to see the flap position out of the corner of your eye you really don't need anything else. I'm leaving it in my 8 for now, but I would not install it again.

What about flying in darkness

I've just installed the standard flap system in my 7 and perhaps dont understand it as well as i should. When the flaps reach their respective up and down positions unless i let go of the switch the motor keeps spinning, is that correct? Flying at night I guess you wont see the flaps and just have to trust in the 'counting' method to determine fully up and down?

Hi Simon,

Yes, the flap motor keeps running at either end of travel, but it's really no big deal counting them down. I have external markings on my left flap, and it is easy to look out and see exactly where it is - I haven't had a problem at night or in the clouds - I always figured I could use the flashlight if I need to, but haven't needed to. The flaps are really non-critical items on an RV, and I preferred to keep the system simple (although I do have an "up" limit switch to turn the motor off at that end of travel....you could pretty easily make a "down" limit switch as well I suppose...)

Paul

I'd just do an UP limit switch, Then make the flap switch momentary down and continuous up...

Back