What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim

wirejock

Well Known Member
Question.
I know it should be intuitive but I don't want a mistake.
I'm hooking up and testing the trim and flaps before things get crowded. I can easily swap the pins on the aileron and flap trim connectors. Flap I know. It's aileron I want to be sure about. I will install the springs today and it's probably obvious but just in case...
If I push the stick hat switch left for left trim, which way should the servo move?
There is linkage and springs so it's probably easier to tell me which way the spring tension moves.

Hey Larry-

It's backward to what you'd think. All you have to remember is that the aileron tube coming from the wing attaches below the stick pivot point so the stick pulls the tube in toward the center of the plane to raise the aileron on that side, and roll the plane in that direction.

i.e. for left aileron trim the little servo arm the springs attach to should be moving right as seen from above.

I sound all smart and stuff, but even after reasoning this all out in my head, I still wired mine up backward. Before I unpinned it, I thought to go into the Garmin setup menu and look for a menu item called "I'm an idiot, reverse trim motor input direction". Sure enough, there it was. One button poke and all good.

Trim

Larry,
Just to simplify this:
If you push the stick hat switch left for left trim, the stick should move left.

So the trim motor arm would move right pulling that spring tighter?
Looks like it's running backards and Dynon has no polarity swap so I get to take that conmector back apart.
Note to others...check before closing up the connector.

Last edited:
Back