What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Stop

dlomheim

Well Known Member
In doing a final pre-flight inspection prior to a first flight in the coming weeks, I found that one of the stops on my ailersons had cracked off. The original builder welded a small tang on each bracket to act as the "stop", and one is there but the other has "departed the fix".

Anyway, my copy of the plans isn't very good, and the fine print shows what looks like a flat piece of 3/16th inch T-2024 riveted to the bracket with 426-AD4-10 rivets.

Is that what you all have on yours as well? I seem to remember making the stops for my RV-9A ailerons with a small piece of angle alumimum...

Thx.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A Restoration

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdq2frcam7j22n5/Aileron stop broken.jpg

Last edited:
There's a neat "Mod" I have seen on an RV-8 and RV-3 where a plastic bushing e.g. Delrin (?) is used in lieu of the AL Spacer in the attachment of the Aileron Push Rod to the Aileron.

Just turn it down to required size... May be easier?

There's a neat "Mod" I have seen on an RV-8 and RV-3 where a plastic bushing e.g. Delrin (?) is used in lieu of the AL Spacer in the attachment of the Aileron Push Rod to the Aileron.

Just turn it down to required size... May be easier?

I concur - search for "aileron stop", or something like that Doug. I've done the Delrin bushing stops on both the -3 and the -8, but don't know if I have a picture handy - I'll have to look. They work great - buy them at Home Depot Aviation Supply.

Back