What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron electric trim

captainron

Well Known Member
We're ready to order the QB 7 and one of the options is electric aileron trim. Is this a better/lighter way than the manual trim? Also, which option should we select if we plan to have an autopilot?
Thanks

A very opinionated topic

Ron:

Search for the thread on this from several weeks ago. I'll summarize for you: it's a horse race and most opinions are from builders that feel justified in their choice, no matter if they chose manual or electric. Figure out what you want and buy it; I don't think there is a right or wrong here.

Jekyll

Electric Trim

For me, the main advantages with electric trim were:

1) it is easier to run some awg#22 than a bowden cable;

2) having trim control on the stick grip is kind of nice.

Mickey, He is talking aileron trim (no bowden cable). I have the manual trim and like it just fine. Aileron trim is used much less frequently than pitch trim. I think you will be happy with which ever you choose.

I actually do use my aileron trim quite a bit - no doubt because it is on the coolie hat on my stick. What I have found is that the roll trim condition is very dependent on airspeed, and I like being able to adjust the stick forces as I slow down from cruise to pattern and landing speed. Not critical - I do it because it is easy, since it's right there. I susepct the speed dependency is due to the fact that with the spring-bias system, the ailerons get forced more into trail at higher speeds, so you get less actual trim effect.

I agree that it is a personal choice, and either way works.

Paul

Currently have all electric with cooley hat on the stick. I think I'll go with manual trim on my next project. Have only had problem with the electric twice in 840+ hrs, but still think using a couple of push/pull cables with vernier control under the left side of the panel would be mo betta.

Back