What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Fuse Oil Canning

BillL

Well Known Member
Well, when I hung the engine the fuse was sitting on (sturdy) saw horses and it was well balanced with the tail in the air. I had noticed a tendancy for oil canning of the fuse floor between the F708 and F707 bulkheads. With the engine on there, a feather touch would dimple the whole floor area. I have added two stiffeners and plan to rivet the ends, and use windshield urethane or "pro seal" to contact the bottom. The stiffeners are made from .025" thick and the long one was less than 30 grams.

If someone is wearing their Jordy Visor and detects a high stress area, please let me know. The stiffeners were deliberately placed across the floor to avoid collecting airframe loads and cracking the end rivets.

BTW, I looked at a friends 7 and with his engine mounted, that section of the floor was quite stiff, it must not be a universal issue. I also checked with Vans and there is no factory fix recommendation.

IMG_0725.JPG

What do you think - is there a better way, will this work?

Last edited:
Glue it in

Since it is non structural just glue it in. Won't mess up the outside paint if it is already painted. Should work fine.

Oil canning

On my RV-9A (yes I know it's not approved for aerobatics) I added some stiffeners after looking a these inflight pictures:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36763&highlight=oil+canning

Between the F706 and F707 bulkheads, in addition to the F729 bellcrank rib I already had the Van's ADAHRS bracket spaced about 6" to the left of the F729, so I made an opposite hand version and riveted it on the right.

Between the F707 and F708 I riveted a piece of J channel longitudinally on the aircraft centerline and used end clips to transfer any vertical loads into the F707 and F708.

You have made some beautiful stiffeners for your aircraft. However, the loads that caused the oil canning in the photos in the post above were caused by compression in the lower fuselage skin. That's why I added stiffeners in the direction of the load.

Common

Adding a stiffener is a common fix in the Cessna world. Go ahead and try shaking a few Cessna wing tips to see how many bays oil can.;)

Back