What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft canopy frame

mc607

Well Known Member
I’m not happy with the two halves of the aft canopy frame alignment. The two halves have different flange heights and when clecoed together there is a 1/16” gap at the bottom and tight on top. Also, when set on the fuselage, it does not align parallel to the roll bar. Is this typical of what other builders have seen in these parts?
20230630_174546.jpg

20230630_174408.jpeg

20230630_180939.jpg

20230630_181025.jpg

20230630_181002.jpg

Were the part number stickers from the same source and date ?

I've noticed that parts from apparently different sources, judged by different sticker style, have a slightly different finish. Some would appear to have been in stock for a few months and meeting up with newly supplied stock for shipment again judged by the dates.

I had the same issue...maybe a little worse. It's been a while so I'll have to go back and check my notes. I think one of those parts is mis-stamped. Seems it happens occasionally on the larger parts. They slip in the stamper??
Measure the flanges. I believe I found the lower flange on one of the parts was larger then the top flange. Could this cause a tighter bend radius on the part? ..not sure. As I recall, I was concerned that if the canopy frame is lower than the roll bar frame with the pin engaged, the plexi could contact the roll bar before the canopy is fully down enough to engage pin smoothly. Probably not much, but maybe enough to add extra stress on that part of the canopy.
I think I did get a new part and it wasn't perfect but better. I ended up not pulling the canopy frames completely together at the top. I did have to modify a couple of the holes on the handle assembly. Maybe even re-located and up-sized a couple rivets. I also added a doubler plate to aft side of the frame for the handle assembly. This helped with the hole/rivet mods, and, most important to me:), hid the angled gap at the top join of the frame.
There may have been other changes, but need to review my notes.
Long story short, canopy closes and latches very smoothly.

Ian, both parts have same sticker and were made on the same day. That’s worrisome.

Shawn, I’m planning on ordering a couple new ones and hopefully between the 4 I can get a much better alignment. I was thinking about opening the gap but then it’ll be proud on the sides. These ones are pretty close on the sides right now. Just too low on top at the radiuses. I’m hoping between new parts and undoubtedly having to do some shimming I’ll be able to get a decent match with rear window. Thanks
misery likes company:cool:

Back