What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport overhead and scat inlets

rvdave

Well Known Member
Trying to locate air hose inlets to f-1006 bulkhead and am seeing that the height of the overhead for the opening is about 2" so when the scat fitting is mounted the flange of the o/h will be blocking air flow. What is the best way to approach this?

Dave Ford

One way

This is how we did it. Not real sure if I understand your question fully...

We used oval flanged connectors (Got them with the A/C from flightline A/C) and trimed them so that they fit inside the flanges of the baggage bulkhead. These connectors offered more effective area for the air to flow. The rear of the overhead was cut off about 3" from the rear so that it could be fitted properly to the bulkhead and then the joint was glassed back in.

I know you have 2" duct but you may be able to use information from this set-up.

Good luck.

IMAG0814-789213.jpg

IMAG0767-783841.jpg

IMG_20110728_064830-715642.jpg

IMG_20110829_165707-737471.jpg

Trying to locate air hose inlets to f-1006 bulkhead and am seeing that the height of the overhead for the opening is about 2" so when the scat fitting is mounted the flange of the o/h will be blocking air flow. What is the best way to approach this?

Here's what I did. You can get these from either Van's or ACS.

FP16112010A000QC.jpg

I did it the same as Bob did. The only thing to remember is to not rivet the metal flanges to the bulkhead until you have riveted the rear top skin to the cabin top. The flanges will prevent you from getting to the back of the rivets directly on top. You can use blind rivets to hold the flanges to the rear bulkhead.

Those are the same fittings I have, I guess even though the flange of the overhead will be right in front of the opening there will still be adequate airflow.

Thanks Bill for the tip of waiting to rivet the fittings til later,

Dave

Those are the same fittings I have, I guess even though the flange of the overhead will be right in front of the opening there will still be adequate airflow.

Thanks Bill for the tip of waiting to rivet the fittings til later,

Dave

Not only is there adequate flow, at times, there will be too much airflow. There are literally dozens of RV-10 overheads installed this way.

You'll want one of these from Geoff, especially in the winter in Michigan.

naca2.jpg

Back