What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero smoke in the cabin

grumman41

My RV6 had both aero smoke injectors blocked with exhaust soot. I cleaned them out and everything is functioning but I’m getting excessive smoke in the cabin.

I’m using Bluesky oil, the injectors look to be homemade, cabin heat and vents were off. Someone is going to ask how much! iFR in the cabin, taste it, strong smell, WAY too much.
Kevin

My RV6 had both aero smoke injectors blocked with exhaust soot. I cleaned them out and everything is functioning but I’m getting excessive smoke in the cabin.

I’m using Bluesky oil, the injectors look to be homemade, cabin heat and vents were off. Someone is going to ask how much! iFR in the cabin, taste it, strong smell, WAY too much.
Kevin

I think Joe had pipe extensions that he temporarily installed on the pipes when doing formation and air show work using smoke.
I don’t know whether they went with the airplane or not, when the new owner took it home.

The extensions make sense. I seen an extra hole on each of my exhaust tubes, probably for a set screw.
Kevin

Last edited:
Just a gut feeling that even if you were not making smoke or injecting oil, you might still be getting exhaust CO with no smoke.

I think I would make an effort to find and seal the ingress points and pressurize with clean air as previously posted.

Smoke in the cockpit

Is the smoke coming into the cockpit at all times? We have two RV8s on the field here and both will get a lot of smoke inside when airspeed slows with power back. We both shut down smoke in an overhead pattern before reducing power and slowing on the downwind. (I have exhaust extensions on mine)

Most of RV's have some form of smoke in the cockpit. Our best guess right now is most of it comes in thru the firewall.

We do not believe it comes in thru the flap hole, as a test we put tape on flaps in the full up position and flew with smoke, it got WORSE.

I’ve just got my “injectors” unclogged. Ive only tested it twice since then, I was doing 100kts on climb out and 130kts doing steep turns. It was so bad I thought best to get this sorted first. It’s a bit disappointing as this six has a great smoke system on it, maybe I’ll just use it as a spotting aid.
Kevin

Just a gut feeling that even if you were not making smoke or injecting oil, you might still be getting exhaust CO with no smoke.

I think I would make an effort to find and seal the ingress points and pressurize with clean air as previously posted.

YES!! Methinks this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

The openings where the aileron push tubes enter the fuselage need to be closed with fabric boots. They're not hard to make. Sam Buchanan has a nice explanation of how to make them at this link. Or you can get them from Abby at Flightline Interiors.

Sealing up fuselage-wing openings has always helped me on any airplane I've flown with smoke. After that, it comes down to figuring out a way to have positive pressure in the cockpit. Let us know how it goes!

Most of RV's have some form of smoke in the cockpit. Our best guess right now is most of it comes in thru the firewall.

We do not believe it comes in thru the flap hole, as a test we put tape on flaps in the full up position and flew with smoke, it got WORSE.

Which would confirm more pressure inside of the cockpit would help fix this problem.

If an RV is built properly, the firewall should be pretty much 100% sealed.

The most common place for exhaust fumes, and or smoke to enter the cabin, is around the baggage bulkhead.
On some RVs, if you look closely in the area between the rudder and the vertical stabilizer, you can see some staining from exhaust.

The exhaust plume grows in diameter as it moves aft under the belly, and it closely follows the air flow on the bottom of the airplane. By the time it gets to the aft end of the fuselage, the plume has grown quite a bit and can be following the surface of the fuselage.
The air gets pretty disturbed at the far aft, and and flows in a lot of different directions
Now add the fact that the cockpit has a lot of curved shape surrounding it that produces low pressure on the outside. This often produces a leakage flow from inside the cockpit to the outside.
So, if there is an outward flow, there will always be an equal inward flow of make up air. That air can come from a lot of different locations, such as the flap push rod opening, the aileron push pull tube openings, and the tail cone.

My experience shows that the majority of the make up air is usually leaking in from the tail cone.
I have also learned that sealing the canopy really well so that there is no outflow does a lot to prevent exhaust and smoke from entering, and it greatly improves the cabin heat performance in the winter, because you are not allowing cold air to compete against the hot air from the cabin heat system.

Before anyone thinks that sealing up the path from the tail cone would be a good solution, keep in mind that there always has to be an out flow path if you want the fresh air vents, and the cabin heat to work well.

My recommendation is always to leave the openings in the baggage bulkhead open and work at sealing everywhere else in the cockpit. Especially outwardly curved areas of the canopy, which likely have reduced pressure on the outside.

I removed the injectors to clean the “jet” that was clogged with exhaust soot. I don’t think seal is really great at the exhaust. Is it likely that the smoke is coming out of that area?

Attachments

• IMG_6570.jpg
    IMG_6570.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 64
Smoke system update, I checked the CO in flight and it was fine. I’m going to replace the injectors (worn and clogged), I welcome input on the supplier for new injectors.

Back