What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advance control module

RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
An experimental shop told me they have seen problems with the advanced control modules, prefers to hand wire. Any truth or experience with this?
The ACM seems like a great product.

An experimental shop told me they have seen problems with the advanced control modules, prefers to hand wire. Any truth or experience with this?
I have never heard of any issues or seen problems with any that I have installed.
Might this be a case of a shop that would prefer to maximize billable labor on jobs they quote?

If the ACM has problems, the AFS crew has pulled off the miracle of all miracles - keeping all negative stories about it off of the internet. I've been watching them for years as I've geared up for my build and have yet to hear of any real issues with it. I'll be ordering mine in the next few weeks. A major selling point for me is the ease of installation and future panel modification. That's probably not a big selling point for an avionics shop...

Find a different shop. Rob and his team are the real deal and highly respected. If there were issues with their product, they would address them.

Soon to be installing my 2nd full AFS suite based on the ACM. The AFS team cant' be beat when it comes to service after the sale. Trish, Rob, Jonathon, etc... Excellent products, excellent support.

If the ACM has problems, the AFS crew has pulled off the miracle of all miracles - keeping all negative stories about it off of the internet. I've been watching them for years as I've geared up for my build and have yet to hear of any real issues with it. I'll be ordering mine in the next few weeks. A major selling point for me is the ease of installation and future panel modification. That's probably not a big selling point for an avionics shop...

That is what I have figured also, but I wanted to ask.

Mine works just fine. Tech support is excellent. Only issue they told me was to be mindful of the torque noted on the two power connections. They said it's the #1 return. People put the mojo on those little bolts and snap them off.

I've looked at this before, and it has some neat features, but is there a big benefit to having it? The website makes claims like "hundreds of hours saved" on panel installation, but I find that hard to believe. I can't imagine it taking hundreds of hours to put a well thought out and planned panel together to begin with, much less taking so long that you could save hundreds of hours using this. Also seems like a rather complicated single point of failure for potentially critical components, though it apparently has a pretty good track record.

I've had four good years with mine so far in a 7A. It made the avionics easy to assemble. I also like that it has electronic circuit breakers and a Dynon view of the current at each place in the system; this has simplified troubleshooting alternator and battery issues several times.

I have learned to wait a few seconds between turning on the alternator and the avionics switches. If I do them concurrently, I occasionally trigger the electronic circuit breaker on the transponder or trim circuits, and have to power cycle everything to get it back up properly. I don't have proof the ACM is at fault, but it seems like the common point.

I sympathize with the single point of failure concern. However, my PFD and backup G5 both have backup batteries and would keep going if the ACM kicks out. The engine is also independent of the ACM, of course.

I do see a risk that 20 years from now, the ACM might wear out, and it might be unrepairable, forcing a complete panel wiring do-over.

My installation in an RV8 panel rebuild in 2019 has been flawless and had ready technical support at the time of installation and setup. I'm a long time (pre-ACM) customer of Advanced Flight and highly recommend them. (Also, not aware of any others having problems like your shop reported.)

Problems?.......The only problem is you now have to find another shop. The ACM works like magic and the product support at Advanced Flight Systems can't be beat.

I've looked at this before, and it has some neat features, but is there a big benefit to having it?
One big benefit is very simple future upgrade ability.
Say you would really like to have a GTN650 or 750 but it doesn’t work with the budget when initially doing the panel so initially you stay simple with a basic com radio.
When you are finally ready, all you have to do is mount the new unit in the panel, connect a premade harness to the dsub port on the ACM, and route the antenna coax and install the antenna (this does assume you previously installed an audio panel, but if not, adding that at the same time is about the same, minus the work for the antenna.

There are premade harnesses available now that will simplify wiring the entire airplane.
Will using all of the options save hundreds of hrs? That will vary from one person to another, but if you factor in post build time spent troubleshooting problems caused by builder induced wiring errors, etc., for some people the time difference could be significant.

I've looked at this before, and it has some neat features, but is there a big benefit to having it?
I like having a screen (two buttons: check/electric) to show actual draw on each circuit, and the switchability on/off/reset right on that screen (which is same as pulling a breaker, of course). Not just circuit capacity, but actual draw. At annual, I check draw on non-avionics things like lights and defroster fan, just as a monitor/warning.

I do see a risk that 20 years from now, the ACM might wear out, and it might be unrepairable, forcing a complete panel wiring do-over.

I don’t see that as a risk. At the rate avionics are advancing, a new panel every 20 years (or less…) is something reasonable to budget for :)

I've looked at this before, and it has some neat features, but is there a big benefit to having it? The website makes claims like "hundreds of hours saved" on panel installation, but I find that hard to believe. I can't imagine it taking hundreds of hours to put a well thought out and planned panel together to begin with, much less taking so long that you could save hundreds of hours using this. Also seems like a rather complicated single point of failure for potentially critical components, though it apparently has a pretty good track record.
It will save time. I don't know about hundreds of hours. That really depends on how fast you are at wiring.

The ACM harness system takes simplifies wiring even you choose to make all the harnesses from scratch.
Basically, all the systems are pre-planed. If AFS is helping design the panel you get a wiring diagram.
The ACM was designed to make easier to build and support a wide variety of avionics and other devices.
Upgrading components are a simplified.

The ACM has great track record. It should as good or better than as a fuse panel

Back