What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Actual Friction Reduction with Matco/Vans nose wheel

There is some friction reduction when using the Matco Axle and trimming the bearing seal, but that isn't the real benefit. The real benefit of the Matco axle is the required bearing preload and the AN-6 axle bolt torque can be set completely seperately. Without the Matco axle, the bearing preload is usually too high when the AN-6 bolt is properly torqued.

And just to be complete.....yes there is an AntiSplat Aero modification available for the nose wheel on most (maybe all?) Van's tricycle gear to change the wheel bearings and install an internal bearing spacer. This does not eliminate the use of the Van's bearing adapters as the Matco axle does, but it should (don't know for sure....haven't tried it) help getting the AN-6 bolt torque and bearing preload to not affect each other.

The real benefit of the Matco axle is the required bearing preload and the AN-6 axle bolt torque can be set completely separately. Without the Matco axle, the bearing preload is usually too high when the AN-6 bolt is properly torqued. SNIP

+1

The other reason is that now that the axle bolt is not used to pre-load the bearings the typical problem of the wheel bearings spinning against the wheel fork is eliminated. The fork aluminum looses in this contest.

Carl

mod

There is some friction reduction when using the Matco Axle and trimming the bearing seal, but that isn't the real benefit. The real benefit of the Matco axle is the required bearing preload and the AN-6 axle bolt torque can be set completely seperately. Without the Matco axle, the bearing preload is usually too high when the AN-6 bolt is properly torqued.

And just to be complete.....yes there is an AntiSplat Aero modification available for the nose wheel on most (maybe all?) Van's tricycle gear to change the wheel bearings and install an internal bearing spacer. This does not eliminate the use of the Van's bearing adapters as the Matco axle does, but it should (don't know for sure....haven't tried it) help getting the AN-6 bolt torque and bearing preload to not affect each other.

The AS bearing mod does use an internal spacer as well as machined outer spacers. The bearings are sealed ball bearings, not tapered, and therefore the AN6 bolt is torqued normally and there isn't a "preload" to the bearings.

The mod is also available for the mains, at least on the RV-10.

The main reason why I'm asking is the AS bearing mod appears to work too good as some guys are reporting the front wheel spooling up in flight and causing it to shake if there is a slight imbalance in the wheel/tire assembly. And then having to throttle back to below 150 or 140 kts to get it to stop.

I pulled my tenants C150 out of the hanger yesterday and its close to the wt of my RV9A and wow, what a difference on the rolling resistance between the 2 planes. So, the C150 has the older style bearings that we are use to as well it has larger tires that probably help lower the rolling resistance.

On my RV9A we have smaller wheels that generally take more effort to roll. As well as the stock Matco bearing/seals that some of us don't like.

I would like to be closer to the rolling resistance of the C150 than my 9A.

Anyway I will make a change but now due to the reported shimmy issues with the AS mod I'm not leaning as heavy that way. Yes, I could add some baffling into the wheel pant to rub on the tire but that isn't the way I really want to do things.

Tim

Data

Just a data point. I have the AS mod on all wheels of my -10 and do not have any shimmy issues.

The only shimmy I get is between 32-34 knots during landing. The AS mod actually made this better as with the stock bearings the shimmy lasted longer and had a larger magnitude.

Just a data point. I have the AS mod on all wheels of my -10 and do not have any shimmy issues.

The only shimmy I get is between 32-34 knots during landing. The AS mod actually made this better as with the stock bearings the shimmy lasted longer and had a larger magnitude.

Hey Bob,

Do you think any of your wheels are spooling up in flight and they are balanced and trued enough that you don't notice?

Thanks

Tim

Hey Bob,

Do you think any of your wheels are spooling up in flight and they are balanced and trued enough that you don't notice?

Thanks

Tim

I don't think so but I guess anything is possible. No way to really know without mounting a camera. Subjectively, there is no change in noticeable vibration at any airspeed that would indicate rotation.

Yes, the tires were trued and balanced by AS but that was a year ago so how true they are now, I can't say.

I am also using Desser retreads; that may also make a difference...

Back