What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About the benefits and harms of covers

Drowosek

Dear friends and colleagues!
Due to the fact that quite a lot of our propellers are in operation in your country, I will allow myself to remind about one important rule.
I do not know how much it is accepted in your country. In our country it is accepted automatically and without reminding. This rule is related to the storage of aircraft in the open air.
So: after every precipitation any covers must be removed and dried. At the same time, the aircraft unit itself is ventilated and dried. If it is necessary to speed up drying, it is desirable to turn the covers out.
This applies to any airplane unit as well as to the propeller. It turns out that many operators do not do this. It rains, and the equipment literally sours in water for many days. At the same time, the safety of the equipment under the covers does not improve, but significantly worsens! Ventilation is impeded and corrosion develops.
Covers are designed to protect against UV light, accidental scratches, dust and dirt, from direct water ingress. But after rain, they aggravate the situation by making ventilation more difficult.
In the case of a propeller, the lower blades literally float in water after a heavy rain. The dense outer fabric prevents the water from evaporating quickly. The soft inner fabric is excellent at absorbing moisture and retaining it for a long time.
We know that rainwater contains impurities and is an electrolyte. The epoxy surface layer, while chemically resistant, can gradually discolor and cause unnecessary issues. We have supplied thousands of propellers but have already had two similar recalls. That is why I took the liberty of reminding myself of this rule.
Please pardon my English.

Attachments

• 122269-c6e7c80a2115c8d9cdb1d9297eb831cd.jpeg
    122269-c6e7c80a2115c8d9cdb1d9297eb831cd.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 76
You are correct! In the early nineties, I bought my dream car.......an expensive sports car. I immediately purchased a custom cover for it and used it religiously. One day, it was parked outside, on a hot summer day, with the cover on. A storm passed through and it was a couple of days before I returned from a trip and uncovered it. The beautiful red paint had huge white splotches all over the car! It took hours of polishing to get it presentable and honestly, it never was the same. The cover was the best you could get at the time. Maybe, they are better now but I think your recommendations are still spot on.

Vladimir,

I am very pleased to see someone from Ukraine involved and successful in the aviation business. You are working in the most difficult conditions imaginable and pressing on.

Your advice is well taken and valued. Well done and all the best!

Cheers

Thank you for your kind words. They are especially valuable when conditions are really challenging not only for work but also for life. Nevertheless, we appreciate every customer and try to keep our word. Trust is a very important factor for cooperation. I have been working in aviation for 40 years, so I understand the value of practical experience. In aviation, there are basic rules that are learned in the first few months of work. Breaking these rules very often leads to unpleasant surprises.

Attachments

• 20200601-121938.jpg
    20200601-121938.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 43
I also learned it the hard way with a nice car I owned so I try to remind people when I see them using covers, but some myths are so ingrained that it'll take time to overcome them. Like the "flying over-square will blow up your engine" type of myth.

Back