What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A HOT day to test the 2nd oil cooler

seagull

Well Known Member
Last October I added a second oil cooler to tame the oil temps when flying on hot days. We have had some hot days since and it has performed well but with this flight today I am beyond convinced I did the right thing.
Today’s flight was extremely HOT and put the 2nd oil cooler to the test. On the way back to So Cal from Montana I stopped by Hurricane UT for gas. It was noon and HOT, the plane was at gross. The density altitude was 7300 and my engine was hot from the flight in. On departure the air temp was 104f. I climbed out at 85 – 90 kts continuous to 13,000’ DA. The oil peaked at 225f about 5 minutes into the climb then fell back. Coolant also peaked at 230f and fell back. I kept the throttle at 100% until I reached 13,000 DA. When I leveled off the oil was 201f.

http://waltsrv12.com/engine/adding-second-oil-cooler/

Again good job Walt.
It must have raised you oil capacity maybe a have a liter? This might have been in your web post, but more oil has to help some.

Mine are series, I considered parallel for more efficency but the plumbing was going to be a nightmare.

Back