What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A first flight N965DR

dwranda

Well Known Member
After 7 years of building my project became an airplane yesterday. It was an amazing day I will never forget. I really wanted to do the first flight myself, but being an ultra low time pilot I listened to smart people and had a super experienced pilot do it. I thought I would somehow feel cheated that I didn't do the flight, but I couldn't be happier. He said it flew beautifully and the engine and prop combo were so smooth it almost felt electric. Thank you to everyone here that have answered my stupid questions for years and for some that have provided amazing build sites that I spent hours perusing.
DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

That’s great David. I had my friend fly mine and do the 40 hours while I was in another state! Just like you I didn’t feel cheated at all. I am having so much fun flying now I am just happy I get the chance.

Have fun and make new memories.

Many congrats David! Very happy for you and wishing a painless phase 1.

v/r,dr

Doug,
I'm sure you've heard this hundreds of times before, but without your site and the connections I've made because of it I wouldn't have attempted this. I admit it's an incredible accomplishment to complete an airplane, but what impresses me is the guys who built 20+ years ago with no pre-punched holes and no internet. That's REALLY impressive! Thank You Doug for this site!!! [ed. Absolutely my pleasure, sir! Thank you for the kind words and congrats again. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
way to go

After 7 years of building my project became an airplane yesterday. It was an amazing day I will never forget. I really wanted to do the first flight myself, but being an ultra low time pilot I listened to smart people and had a super experienced pilot do it. I thought I would somehow feel cheated that I didn't do the flight, but I couldn't be happier. He said it flew beautifully and the engine and prop combo were so smooth it almost felt electric. Thank you to everyone here that have answered my stupid questions for years and for some that have provided amazing build sites that I spent hours perusing.
DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

Daddyman,
What a beautiful thing.

Back