What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9 row oil cooler clearance Q.

az_gila

Well Known Member
A question for those who have mounted a 9 row cooler on the aft #4 baffle of a RV-6.

How much clearance did you end up with at the aft inner cooler flange and the motor mount?

If seems if I move the cooler all the way out board - no 1/4 inch offset as shown in the new baffle plans - I can only get 1/4 inch sideways clearance after trimming the cooler flange to essentially zero.

Other builders have mentioned they did it, but how much clearance did they end up with ?

Vans says 1/2 inch, but is 1/4 workable?

The engine is a narrow deck O-360-A1A and I have the new baffle kit.

PS question is specifically for -6 installations, photos seem to show the -7 and -9 mounts are slightly different.

PS question is specifically for -6 installations, photos seem to show the -7 and -9 mounts are slightly different.

The 7 & 9 mounts are the same as what is used on the 6, except for the extended mount used for installing an O-320 on a 7.
An O-360 has better clearance because the engine is wider.
A 1/4" will work, but I would not except any less.

Gil----we've seen some that were "close", probably within 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch. New installs. So what happens when the mounts loosen up? Bet it hits the mount. Several of those guys opted to go with a firewall cooler box.

Tom

Gil----we've seen some that were "close", probably within 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch. New installs. So what happens when the mounts loosen up? Bet it hits the mount. Several of those guys opted to go with a firewall cooler box.

Tom

Yes, but most of the motion is rotational due to torque rather than a straight sideways or up-down movement, correct?

I'm going to see if I can sacrifice one of the 9 rows and slide the cooler outboard for that extra 1/4 inch... :)

My 6 was good with 1/4 in and the 7 is good with a 1/4 in. I have in some upgrades (Arizona) to a larger cooler used a 3/4 by 1 in vertical angle on the baffling and moved the cooler outboard by a 1/4 inch. Larry

Yes, but most of the motion is rotational due to torque rather than a straight sideways or up-down movement, correct?

I'm going to see if I can sacrifice one of the 9 rows and slide the cooler outboard for that extra 1/4 inch... :)

This is my assumption, my clearance is based on it.

Back