What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8a panel layout with dynon

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Looking for opinions on layout I'm thinking of going with for a panel overhaul

Currently have an 8 inch PFD in the center, air gizmos iPad on the right with a GPS 175 in the center below the PFD

AP and radio controller to the left of the PFD, av30E on that side also, have a dynon intercom I was going to put on that side but was under the impression it wouldn't mute music when incoming radio calls are received. Which it doesn't do so probably going with a gma 245

was going to move all the switches up to the panel cuz I hate looking down at them but I'm thinking I'm going to leave them in their existing location.

So switches that'll be up on the panel will be flaps, fuel pump, and pitot heat since I'll be adding that.

Any ideas on what you'd change?

Last edited:
I running it through the aux in right now, I may be putting a 750 in it now or SL30/GpS 175 so gonna need an audio panel

That is correct. Installed flip flop toggle. What nice about 2 radios. You can listen on both. Just use volume control onsecond radio. Garmins setup is more workable than Dynon. Not sure why Dynondoes not have a second radio setup in HDX. In future update maybe?

Slick ap controller mounting, do you find yourself using the 7 at 8? I was gifted a 7 inch and was going to ise that as my PFD but now I'm contemplating a 10 inch with a 650

Looking for opinions on layout I'm thinking of going with for a panel overhaul

Currently have an 8 inch PFD in the center, air gizmos iPad on the right with a GPS 175 in the center below the PFD

AP and radio controller to the left of the PFD, av30E on that side also, have a dynon intercom I was going to put on that side but was under the impression it wouldn't mute music when incoming radio calls are received. Which it doesn't do so probably going with a gma 245

was going to move all the switches up to the panel cuz I hate looking down at them but I'm thinking I'm going to leave them in their existing location.

So switches that'll be up on the panel will be flaps, fuel pump, and pitot heat since I'll be adding that.

Any ideas on what you'd change?

I have all the switches on the instrument panel. Just a USB charger port and a cockpit lighting dimmer on the right side panel. Not flying yet. But, getting close to powering it up with ground power.

53054419897_b19ca42196.jpg

View attachment RV-8 - Alex G - 05-23-2023 Full Scale.pdfThis is where I was at but then didn’t want to retire the switches from down at the stock location so thinking of keeping them down there.

Was gonna do just a 175, but then a buddy said he’d sell me his sl30 for a decent deal, then I found a used 650 for a good price also. So now that’s throwing a wrench in things.

Just want a simple clean IFR platform, 98 percent of the flights will be 25 min VFR Play flights with a few XC flights a year.

IMHO a single 7 inch PFD is too small to display flight & map/nav & engine. I went for 10 inch after seeing in real life.
Also, I would put the AV-30 up top so it is in the pilot's primary field of view. The intercom and radio and AP knob panel can go lower down.

For builders using the very nice Dynon comm, there is no need to have the comm module mounted up high. I use this radio as comm #2, but for IFR it plays a big roll when setting up for the approach, shifting to tower, ground etc. With the SkyView displaying primary and backup frequencies, and the airport for shifting frequencies, the comm module need not be touched.

As I’ve recommended, move whatever GPS navigator you are using to the top left of the panel. These boxes are a pain to manage in a dynamic environment - so being able to clearly see these poor displays without having your head down is a big advantage.

Here is my current panel (most have seen this photo too many times). The GTN-650 will not be used on the new RV-10.
Carl
20210729-135426.jpg

Back