What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 tailwheel rudder bottom drain hole?

BruceW

Well Known Member
I have the rudder and VS pulled for some other work on my tailwheel -7.
Saw that I have no drain hole on the rudder bottom.
Have 660+ hours. Not a lot of wet flying. No issues that I can tell.

IF I put a drain hole in the rudder bottom, WHERE for a tailwheel?
Again, not installed so I cant find low point.
Oh, and how big? Maybe 1/8"?

Put a level on the bottom of your rudder bottom fairing to find the low point while sitting on level ground. Mark that spot and drill a 1/8” in the bottom of your fairing hole there. Then jack up your tail to level flight - with the canopy side rails level, and then measure the level point on your rudder bottom fairing in that configuration, and mark it. Drill another 1/8” hole in that location. Water should drain out when sitting on the ground, or while in level flight, so no worries.

Last edited:
1/4

See DWG 7 for the "Big Rudder", Note 3, zone A-5. calls for a 1/4" hole in the rudder bottom fairing at the low point in ground attitude.

Picture attached -- ignore the RV-14 tailspring, was experimenting...

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 109
See DWG 7 for the "Big Rudder", Note 3, zone A-5. calls for a 1/4" hole in the rudder bottom fairing at the low point in ground attitude.

Picture attached -- ignore the RV-14 tailspring, was experimenting...

Is that a fuselage vent on the elevator bell crank access panel?

Rudder drain

I did DAR work on an RV that had never been outside the hangar. I suggested a drain hole to the builder who thought it unnecessary. When he did drill an eighth inch hole on bottom of rudder fairing about a half cup of water drained out.

Years ago I worked rebuilding old planes. Many had dirt and leaves on the uphill side of fuselage formers and signs of 2-4” of water . For that reason I suggest small drain holes by each fuselage former.

1/8" holes can easily get clogged. I recommend a 1/4" drain hole.

Back