What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A with new 7A/9A elastomer nosegear

recapen

Well Known Member
Fellow RV-6A owners/builders,

Hopefully, I can claim to be the first RV6A builder/customer flying a RV6A with the new elastomer mount system. Installation required a shortened version of the elastomer link which I assisted the Van’s team in developing (sent to me as part number U00020A-250).

First flight with the new configuration was uneventful related to the NoseGear/Engine Mount change. No issues with Taxi, Take-off, or Landing. The new elastomer system provides a smoother ride in my opinion from the original stiff leg.

The shortened elastomer link still provided sufficient clearance for the prop when the nose came down during the landing rollout.

The blockoff plates for the cowl slot to accommodate the NoseGearLeg travel were placed according to plans and did not exhibit evidence of contact upon inspection after the first landing.
The suggested cowl louvers were not installed for the first flight and were not shown to be necessary at this time based on a 90KIAS full-power climbout to 3500’ MSL and another climbout to 4500’ MSL

FYI, my configuration is IO360B1F6, MTV12 three blade CS prop, LASAR ignition, and AFP injection all under a SamJames cowl/plenum. The Throttle and Mixture cabling required customized mounting brackets to accommodate the engine mount / nosegearleg attachment structure.

There are a few points that need to be emphasized for other builders making this change:
1. The shortened U00020A-250 link is required to allow for a safe deck angle for take-off and landing since the 6A has shorter mainger legs than the 7A/9A
2. The new engine mount moves the engine forward approximately ¾” depending on the manufacture date of the original mount being removed. In my case, this necessitated the installation of a new cowl to accommodate the shift.
3. The installation of the new mount requires emphasis and concentration on the drilling of the lower center two mounting holes in the new mount. Centering of these two holes is required to be accurate as tightening of the associated bolts requires the insertion of a ½” socket into the base of the mount.

I have provided some questions to the Van’s team based on my experience:
1. Will the U00020A-250 link become a standard option for 6A builders / updaters?
2. Will the drilling of Engine-mount holes on the firewall be standardized so that the engine-mounts can be pre-drilled?

Thanks to all assisting in making this configuration work for the 6A – hopefully now, all 6A builders/owners have the option to convert to the new design.

Re hole centering when drilling the retrofit mount...it's easy to machine a drill bushing, drop it in the mount socket, and drill without issue.

The two drill bushings were provided for that purpose - figuring out the position of the mount before drilling in to it is the trick I am referring to!

Re hole centering when drilling the retrofit mount...it's easy to machine a drill bushing, drop it in the mount socket, and drill without issue.

Following the instruction - but adding a couple of steps...
I added masking tape so that I could draw the washer outlines and I created a dimensional check washer which allows me to ensure that I didn't exceed the variation limits outlined in the instructions.
The red line in these pictures represents the variation limit while the black line represents where the new part ended up.
The critical part is the two bottom-center holes as they require you to insert a socket in the remaining space to tighten the bolt properly. Do better than I did on these lower center two – I almost wasn’t able to get the socket in the left one.
20200829_110914.jpg
20200829_110923.jpg
20200829_110935.jpg
20200829_110946.jpg
20200829_110953.jpg
20200829_110958.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I am flying this now - about 25 hours on it with numerous landings on grass and paved runways.
My MT 3 blade CS prop clears nicely. There are no marks from excessive forward gear-leg movement in the slot on the bottom of the cowl.
Van's is planning to make this a distinct part number for the 6A conversion as of our discussion this afternoon.

Last edited:
For those of you concerned about the disclaimer issued by Van's: (https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/RV-6A-EEM-warning.pdf), related to the "prop ground clearance", my 72" MT 3-blade CS prop has 10" of clearance when resting on the gear. I have requested the same measurements from 7A and 9A builders with this new system to get a feel for actual installations and their associated risks.

So far, I have seen a number of responses - at least one with a larger diameter prop and less clearance than mine.

I will be following up and posting an aggregation of the responses.

Back