What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 blade raptor spinner

vertebrac

I'm New Here
Hi! i'm ready to install my raptor 3 blade hartzell prop, it didn't came with the spinner, and i though that it will work with the standard spinner from the kit, but it seems it's not the case. Did anyone installed it on a 390? should i buy the (2k+) spinner kit directly from Hartzell?

Thank you very much!!

I bought the Hartzell spinner along with the prop thru Van’s a couple years ago. It isn’t cheap but is a work of art (polished aluminum). Just a heads up, you will need the appropriate Hartzell manual or phone tech support for guidance on mounting the spinner backplate.

Van's told me they made a standard spinner kit work, but they didn't tell me exactly what they did. If Van's is giving you specific guidance, that supersedes what I'm about to say.

In order to use your kit spinner components, I think you need to drill a different set of holes in the S-602-1 spinner plate, and make either make a new S-602B doubler out of sheet or fit the 3 blade pattern onto the existing S-602B (this won't be perfect because the existing holes and cutouts, and requires clocking for minimum impact). The rivet pattern for attaching the spinner plate and doubler will need to be different, I'd recommend you ask Van's about what to do there.

See attached template for the 3 blade mounting pattern and blade cutout. Make sure if you print it to use it directly as a template that the print is scaled correctly (the file is 1:1).

I haven't done this myself, nor has (to my knowledge) anyone other than Van's, so as with all things aircraft, approach with caution. If it does or doesn't work out, I'd like to know about it so I can better help the next builder.

Attachments

• 3 Blade Raptor Spinner Template.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks so much Robert and Trevor!
I will definitely try to implement Trevor's advice, and will try to get everything validated with vans. I will document the process and post it here for future reference. Thanks so much for the template Trevor!

Back