What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

29-02 Hinge Confusion

Gandalf

Well Known Member
OK So I see that I am not the only one having problems with 29-02 Step 2. Rev 1 says to cut the F1201J hinge to 26 inches and Rev. 2 says to cut the hinge to 25.5 inches. So I cut the hinge to 25.5 inches and it is too short if I align the outboard edge with F1201H as instructed SOOOO I can either center the hinge rather then align the edge as instructed OR I can cut another hinge to 26 inches, in which case it will not look like the picture. What did others do here?

Puzzled in OR,
Jeff

I cut another hinge (one side only from memory) and made a note on the plans to make it 26" next time (just in case there ever is a next time :rolleyes:).

Yup, +1 to that. Contacted support, who said to either cut another hinge or just move the 25.5" one so that it covers all holes. I chose to replace...eyelet on the outboard end, tab on the inboard end.

WHY??

"Rev 1 says to cut the F1201J hinge to 26 inches and Rev. 2 says to cut the hinge to 25.5 inches."
If Rev 2 is wrong why did Vans do that? Doesn't make sense to me,

"Rev 1 says to cut the F1201J hinge to 26 inches and Rev. 2 says to cut the hinge to 25.5 inches."
If Rev 2 is wrong why did Vans do that? Doesn't make sense to me,

Things have become more obvious after installing the K1100-8 nutplate adjacent to the hinge. On the 26 inch hinge, the inboard tab is too long to clear the inboard nutplate. SO you can either trim the inside tab or center the 25.5 inch hinge.

Jeff

...On the 26 inch hinge, the inboard tab is too long to clear the inboard nut plate...

Jeff

Actually, on mine I found that at 26" it fit like it grew there. YMMV?

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

I made mine 25.5" just like it shows in Fig. 2. I then installed it with the hinge pin loop on the left end next to the nutplate just like it shows in Fig. 3.

From your picture it looks like the left end next to the nutplate doesn't have a hinge pin loop on it?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding reference to a 26" length that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

Jim

John... I tried again this morning and I CAN get the 26 inch hinge to fit if I jam it right up against the nutplate so there may be different versions of the upper firewall.

Jim... If you cut the hinge to 26 inches there is a tab on one end. If you cut the hinge to 25.5 inches there is an eyelet on both ends. I should know, I have both a 26 inch and a 25.5 inch hinge :)

35-5InchHinge.jpg

Jeff

OR maybe I need a new ruler!

Last edited:
Back