What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2067 deg egt

riobison

Well Known Member
This last flight in my 9A with a O320 and FP prop I noticed during reduced power settings that on # 1 cyl the egt would climb to 2067 deg. Head temp was normal for the most part at 240 deg.

Full TO and climb power and it would be normal.
Power over 2300+ rpm and it would return to normal.
Power under 1400 rpm or so and would return to normal.
Idle was normal.

Seems to be between 1400 to 2300 rpm.

I tried the mag check and no difference in RPM or sound in flight or on the ground pre take off.

I check the connections and crimps, cleaned and everything seemed in order.

I would have thought a failing probe or connections would register lower or intermittent reading. I wouldn't have thought higher but maybe I'm wrong?

Failed or failing is up/ down, no “ specific way” it fails. Replace your probe.

There's 2 common ways an EGT probe can fail, either by failing shorted (the 2 lead basically touch each other) or by failing open (there's a break in a lead). In your case, the probe has extremely high resistance, meaning it has either failed open or is on the verge of failing open. Make sure that none of the wires going to/from the sensor are damaged and if they all look good, swap the probe.

Looking on Dynons web site they don't seem to offer single probes any more.

Any suggestions on what to or not to replace it with?

Thanks

Tim

This last flight in my 9A with a O320 and FP prop I noticed during reduced power settings that on # 1 cyl the egt would climb to 2067 deg. Head temp was normal for the most part at 240 deg.

I would have thought a failing probe or connections would register lower or intermittent reading. I wouldn't have thought higher but maybe I'm wrong?

Not normal... Check your engine to firewall ground.

Back