What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-10 Wing Tip Length Difference??

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I am wondering if anyone who is done with their wings had the same problem I am having? After finishing up the ailerons and installing them, I found that the trailing edge of the right wing aileron is 3/8" short of the trailing edge of the fiberglass wing tip but the left wing aileron is flush with the tips trailing edge. After measuring things out, the fiberglass tip on the right wing is 3/8" longer than the left measured from the aft edge of the wing top skin, so the fiberglass tip is longer. I don't think it should be longer and the tips look like they came out of a mold. Before I shorten the right wing tip, I am just wondering if this is by design? My fix will be to trim the fiberglass tip to proper length, split the joint, prep the area and re-flox and finish. Am I missing anything here????? :confused:

trimming

I had to trim off both wing tips one of them almost .75 inch. I marked the line using an extended line from the aileron and flap then I cut them off with a die grinder. I took a hacksaw blade and ripped open the remianing seam separating the sides. I then filed out and feathered the inside mating surface of the seams so as to make them lay almost flat. Mixed up some resin with flock and bonded the 2 halves back together being careful to clamp them square and straight aligned with the aileron and flap. after this set up I packed in the joint inside with strips of cloth, and lots of resin mixed with flock. If you dont feather out the inside surface you will have a fat pucker on the outside to deal with. you dont want to use any glass on the exterior just keep the factory gel coat intact. I believe they turned out good.

Last edited:
Wing tips

Differences in the length of the wing tips is quite common. It's better to install the tips after the flaps and ailerons are rigged so that the tip TE can be properly aligned with those. I had to trim more than 1/2" from mine - I applied additonal flox inside the TE to make sure it did not separate as I trimmed it back. Plenty of posts on this on the Matronics list.

cheers
Ron
RV-10 VH-XRM
flying in Oz.

For sure, this was identified several years ago. I think Van's fixed the problem around kit 180 or so. I'm 185 and mine were fine, a friend is like 179 and his were long. Not to tough to fix but then you really shouldn't have to.

For sure, this was identified several years ago. I think Van's fixed the problem around kit 180 or so. I'm 185 and mine were fine, a friend is like 179 and his were long. Not to tough to fix but then you really shouldn't have to.

Since tail kit numbers have no bearing or correlation to wing kit numbers, this reference provides little value. Also, since I have tail kit #237 and my wing kit (delivered Nov '04) included one wing tip that was 1/4" too short again, tail kit number reference is misleading.

At one point in time, wingtips were delivered too long. Then sometime after, some were delivered too short by 1/4" to 3/8". Most now are probably just right. Too short tips are easily fixed.

For reference, I picked up my wing kit in June '08, and one tip is good and the other about 3/8 or 1/2 too long and a little bit high (or low--can't remember).

I still don't understand people who say to align the tip before drilling to fix the high/low problem. Both of my tips fit the leading edges like a glove, so trying to "twist" them to make the trailing edge in line would make the leading edge look silly.

-Rob

I still don't understand people who say to align the tip before drilling to fix the high/low problem. Both of my tips fit the leading edges like a glove, so trying to "twist" them to make the trailing edge in line would make the leading edge look silly.

-Rob

Sorry rob, but if there is a manufacturing error in the tip then any discrepancy in the trailing edge is going to give you lateral problems - heavy wing. I have fitted one of my tips and, fortunately, it was perfect. But, there is always a little give in the fit so if you have the flap and aileron clamped to the correct trail position, you can "ease" the tip to a certain extent before you have to resort to more drastic measures.

For the record, my wing kit is late 2008.

Off hand I do not recall which kit # mine is, but I just took out the Fein and sliced 3/8" off the TE of the long tip even with the TE of the aileron. Split, prepped and re-floxed the TE. Took about an hour.

Since tail kit numbers have no bearing or correlation to wing kit numbers, this reference provides little value

Well it does a little, during the early days of the RV-10 builds a lot of us were ordering wing kits, then fuselages pretty close to the same times, we just didn't moive from NJ to PA in the middle of the build to slow us down;) FWIW, my tips were darn near perfect, like my emp, wings, fuselage, finished RV and me!...darn near perfect:p

Back