What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-10 vs -14 Windshield Fairing Process

iwannarv

Well Known Member
VANS approaches the windshield fairing layup process very differently for the -10 and the -14.

• On the -10, fiberglass strips are cut and laid up starting from narrow to wide to build up to the radius.
  • On the -14, fiberglass strips are cut and laid up starting from wide to narrow to build up to the radius.

I plan to dye my epoxy with black pigment, so for consistency I see the benefit of using the process used on the -14 (starting with one wide dyed strip against the plexi). Trying to get each layer the exact same shade working up on the -10 process would be a bit more difficult.

RV14 also has a more detailed 3 pc cutting schedule to get the shape right vs the -10 just has 'x' widths cut and laid on top of each other.

Brain trust to the best route to go about this? I have watched VANS RV14 layup videos on the tube.

Come on…show a little backbone….do an all;-metal frame like Matt B did on his -7!! 🤣

Seriously, I’d love to hear from Scott on why they reversed the order of the layups. Narrow down in the crack and wider up at the top made intuitive sense to me when I did the -8 two decades ago….but I’ll be doing the Rocket soon, and would love the latest technological advancements to play with!

Back