Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Hartzell propeller low pitch setting

Hi Folks,

I have a blended Hartzell propeller and I am trying to adjust low pitch setting, I have 2690 rpm at full static and on flight, so according to Hartzell manual if I turn one turn clockwise I should reduce 140-150 rpm, I tried first with half a turn, nothing happens, today again another half turn, but I still get 2690 static rpm, how much turn are you aplying to a stock blended stock Hartzell propeller with a Lycoming YIO-360-M1B to get 2650 RPM static???

Happy flying!!!

PD: I will try one more turn tomorrow
Flying phase II RV-8 (SCSE) Serial Number 83290, Tail Number CC-AJC
Flying RV-8 (SCTB) Phase II 600 hours and counting since February 22nd 2010
Serial Number 82727, Tail Number CC-PXG
Lyc. IO-360, Hartzell Prop
VAF #2056
EAA Member 774981
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Hi Fernando...

Just to be clear, there are 2 things controlling the minimum RPM of the Prop - the fine pitch setting, and the governor. The RPM will be limited to the more restrictive of these 2.

The fine pitch setting will govern RPM according to the airspeed of the prop, as a FP prop. So it is no use considering the setting at anything other than ~zero IAS. So your <<and on flight>> is not really relevant.

If you tie the aircraft down, and gently run it up to full power, the governor will limit RPM to whatever it is set to. You will not see the "low pitch" Max RPM unless you either adjust the governor to a much higher RPM, or "slam" the throttle open to try and beat the governor.

Personally, I hate running RVs at full power on the ground, with people on the tail or tied down. In the test flying I do, I check the RPMs:

Governor: In flight.. Rarely need adjusting from factory setting unless owner/builder has been "playing" with it

Prop Pitch stop: Either check on takeoff, or an aborted takeoff. Check all clear ahead, brakes off, and open throttle more aggressively than you normally would. Watch the RPM gauge closely and note the maximum you (briefly) see. This is the static RPM. Now adjust this ~1 turn a time and try again next flight. As you say, I would go for 2600-2650RPM unless you operate out of a VERY short strip.

From your post I suspect you are seeing the governor RPM?
RV8tors
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 AM

Fernando

Both the hartzell prop's I have set up required at least 1 1/2 turns in from the factory setting.
As Andy pointed out the governor will most likely be controlling the speed unless you slam the throttle open.
The easiest way to set it up is now you know that the governor will hold 2690, keep winding the low pitch stop in until you get less than 2690 when doing a run up. You only need to go to full power for 1-2 seconds. Just make sure the plane is either has the tail tied or stick hard back with plenty of space in front of you if the brakes can't hold full power and it moves forward.

Peter
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 AM

I like to monitor RPM (if you have peak recording tach it easy) on the takeoff run (minimum airspeed) rather than strap the aircraft down. It's not unusual in my experience to have to go 2-3 turns or more to get the drop.

Good for you for adjusting it, I think many folks forget or ignore this important adjustment.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
Hi Fernando...

Just to be clear, there are 2 things controlling the minimum RPM of the Prop - the fine pitch setting, and the governor. The RPM will be limited to the more restrictive of these 2.

The fine pitch setting will govern RPM according to the airspeed of the prop, as a FP prop. So it is no use considering the setting at anything other than ~zero IAS. So your <<and on flight>> is not really relevant.

If you tie the aircraft down, and gently run it up to full power, the governor will limit RPM to whatever it is set to. You will not see the "low pitch" Max RPM unless you either adjust the governor to a much higher RPM, or "slam" the throttle open to try and beat the governor.

Personally, I hate running RVs at full power on the ground, with people on the tail or tied down. In the test flying I do, I check the RPMs:

Governor: In flight.. Rarely need adjusting from factory setting unless owner/builder has been "playing" with it

Prop Pitch stop: Either check on takeoff, or an aborted takeoff. Check all clear ahead, brakes off, and open throttle more aggressively than you normally would. Watch the RPM gauge closely and note the maximum you (briefly) see. This is the static RPM. Now adjust this ~1 turn a time and try again next flight. As you say, I would go for 2600-2650RPM unless you operate out of a VERY short strip.

From your post I suspect you are seeing the governor RPM?
Yes Andy, prop governor is holding down my RPM and not prop pitch stop, what really is worrying me is that I have turn a complete turn and I haven't be able to reduce the RPM, so probably prop from Hartzell are not set for RV, even we bought the prop from Van's. I have been flying the plane for 3 years and more than 300 hours and now I am thinking if my governor have failed RPM would go very high, maybe I wouldn't be able to maintain enought power to fly

I will keep turning that screw today till I setup the prop (I should did at the beginning, my fault)

Thanks for your reply!!!
VAF #2056
EAA Member 774981
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipete View Post
Fernando

Both the hartzell prop's I have set up required at least 1 1/2 turns in from the factory setting.
As Andy pointed out the governor will most likely be controlling the speed unless you slam the throttle open.
The easiest way to set it up is now you know that the governor will hold 2690, keep winding the low pitch stop in until you get less than 2690 when doing a run up. You only need to go to full power for 1-2 seconds. Just make sure the plane is either has the tail tied or stick hard back with plenty of space in front of you if the brakes can't hold full power and it moves forward.

Peter
Probably you are right, I have turned 1 turn and nothing happens, a good start should be 1 and a half, turn. Today I will try another half a turn
VAF #2056
EAA Member 774981
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I like to monitor RPM (if you have peak recording tach it easy) on the takeoff run (minimum airspeed) rather than strap the aircraft down. It's not unusual in my experience to have to go 2-3 turns or more to get the drop.

Good for you for adjusting it, I think many folks forget or ignore this important adjustment.
I have been very lazy, I am adjusting now after 3 year and more than 300 hours. Better late than never
VAF #2056
EAA Member 774981
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusPilot View Post
I am trying to adjust low pitch setting...to get 2650 RPM static
Just curious- why are you trying to achieve 2650 rpm when 2700 is Hartzell's and Lycoming's limit? You will not damage the engine or prop if you momentarily reach (or even exceed) rpm by a little bit. Am I missing something?

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence

Last edited by Noah : 10-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM

If you adjust the governor to 2650 static you will not be able to make 2700 in flight. Run-up to full throttle while tied, reduce RPM to desired setting with prop control and leave it there. Reduce throttle to idle, shut down and go look at the gap between the governor arm and the stop-screw. You can then turn the screw until it contacts the arm.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Just curious- why are you trying to achieve 2650 rpm when 2700 is Hartzell's and Lycoming's limit?
A good point

A fair number of reports on here of RPM surging i.e. poor Governor control e.g. on takeoff. Reducing the static RPM seems, anecdotally, to reduce this.

In essence, the governor takes a second or 2 to govern. If you set the static a little low, it ensures the governor has time to catch up

In addition, whilst you and I know you are allowed +10% (2970!) for 3s, your average engine monitor does not, and springs into life with all sorts of lights, noises predicting the end of the world

Quote:
so probably prop from Hartzell are not set for RV, even we bought the prop from Van's
It's not setting the prop "for RVs", but for the engine output. More HP = coarser pitch required @ 2700RPM.
RV8tors