What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double Flush Rivet

Louavul

Well Known Member
Prepping to make the final assembly and riveting of the fwd to aft fuse and wondering about the double flush riveting of the foward carry-through spar flange to the lower fwd skin.

How does one make a double flush rivet? Does the hole on the bucktail side need countersunk? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Steven L Hild
La Vernia, TX
RV-7 N590SC (res)

There is enough clearance so these 5 rivets do not interfere with landing gear towers on mine.. so I didn't do double-flush... Apparently, most folks don't have an issue there.

However, on the side, one (or two, can't remember) rivet was in teh way, so I had to countersink from inside to make the rivet flush... I'm referring to rivets that go through side (vertical) section of 704 and through that plate that has 1" hole for fuel line..

Louavul said:
...............How does one make a double flush rivet? Does the hole on the bucktail side need countersunk? :confused: Thanks in advance,Steven L Hild

Steve,

This is a fairly routine situation when sheets of material must lay together smoothly without the interference that a protruding shop head of a rivet would otherwise cause. However, because I am unfamiliar with your kit, I cannot comment on your specific application.
The following is a generic explanation: A double flush rivet is typically accomplished by countersinking both sides of the hole. The countersink is normally brought up full size on one end (to accept the manufactured head of the rivet) and the countersink on the opposite side of the hole for the shop head of the rivet is normally "touch" countersunk which is of a depth considerably less than that of a full countersink. You shoot or squeeze the rivet normally and insure that the shop head completely swells and fills in the "touch" countersink and then you either use a rivet shaver to remove the excess shop head left standing or (more likely) file and/or sand the excess material off until it is smooth and flush with the surface.
Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I think you can find similar directions in rivieting the trailing edge of the rudder skin.

Don Gray
Cortland, OH

N17QB -7A

Back