What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best location for headset jacks

dwilson

Well Known Member
I have been considering where to locate the headset jacks on my 9A. The traditional place is somewhere up by the panel, but the cord then runs across the legs and can get tangled in things.
Has anyone tried putting the jacks back by the roll bar on a tip up? seems like it might be a great way to keep the cockpit tidy.

Duane Wilson
Working on wings.
N141L reserved

I plan on putting mine on the fwd baggage panel, the one that gets screwed on. There's enough space on the horizontal to place the jacks. I like them there because they are low and out of the way.

I've seen them placed many places- from the rear cockpit bulkhead to the brace between the rollbar and bulkhead to more traditional places like the panel.

Headset jack location

One thing that drives me nuts is loose wires hanging around. With the cost of headsets I wanted a location that would be out of the way and not prone to someone stepping on them, getting tangled and potentially damaging things.

On my 7 Tip up I mounted the jacks on the top support behind the roll bar. I will be mounting a "hanger" for the headsets in front of the jacks. Also I will be purchasing the coiled helicopter type cord to further assist in minimizing the tangle factor.

For the slider folks the little gusset behind the seat support would work great and I've seen many mounted there.

Since I can't seem to download pictures to the site anyone interested in some pictures email me direct at [email protected]

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

RV-6A Slider

Vertically at the left and right ends of the instrument panel just inboard of the longerons. I disconnect them and lay them in the back when I get in and out - it's very clean. In the years that I was a radio mechanic in the Air Force and all of the personal use time since (over 50 years) I have Never had a two or three conductor phone jack or plug fail. The wires may break but the interface components are forever.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
headset jack location, NOT

Okay, I'll be the first to say I might have messed up on the location where I placed my jacks. I placed mine on the upper panel on the rear baggage bulkhead. My thinking was that the cords would be out of the way and we wouldn't damage them getting in and out of the plane. In flight it works out really great with the cords coming between the occupants shoulders. I have a tonneau cover over the baggage area so the cords just kind of rest on top. The problem that has become apparent since going from the planning to actually flying with it is that the cords are always at risk of being cut when getting in and out of the plane. What I mean is that the seat backs go forward for various reasons such as loading or unloading of the baggage area, even if the bags just drag against the seat back when taking them out. Anyway, every time the seat back moves forward 1/4" for even an instant the headset cord seems to fall behind it and sits there waiting for somebody to put their weight on the seat back while getting into the plane and crushing or cutting the cord. I literally have to check this every flight! So far I have been lucky and haven't cut the cord, but I know the day is coming. My suggestion, don't mount the jacks behind you.

Regards,
Bryan 9A "Flyin The Flag"

hang 'em in back

Bryan,

If your jacks are in back, and if the cords are at risk of getting crimped/cut when the seats move, then just make a hanger for the headsets in back. That's what I do, at least. And I made a little velcro mounting pad for the battery packs. Works for me...keeps the cords out of the cockpit.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Mounting the headset jacks out of the way may sound like a good idea, but in addition to the previous two posts comments about the cords getting damaged, another issue to consider, and possibly why a lot of commercially built aircraft install the jacks on the panel is that if you inadvertently get a plug partially pulled out of the jack and lose audio / TX in your headset the plug / jack is within sight to be able to catch this problem and fix it. If you have the jacks mounted in the back somewhere, and you for whatever reason have to try to re-plug in flight... this could be a problem / unnecessary distraction, and compromise safety! just my 2 cents worth... DW

Another Suggestion

On my -6, I placed the jacks in the lower corners of the instrument panel, but the hanging cords bugged me. On my Rocket, I tucked then down near the floor on the instrument panel bulkhead. The cord lies on the floor beneath my thigh. Now, I leave mine plugged in all the time so climbing out is a little bit of a problem, more so that I don't step on the battery/power box on the Lighspeed unit, than anything else.

The comment about reaching them in flight if they get partially disconnected is a good one. Where ever you put them, make sure you can reach them in flight.

About those wires coming from the back

I have not made the final plans on placing my headphone jacks yet, but I was thinking that from the back would be a problem with placing baggage behind the seats. I have a 9A tipup.

Any comments from those with the cords coming from the back?

Kent

Works for me

kentb said:
I have not made the final plans on placing my headphone jacks yet, but I was thinking that from the back would be a problem with placing baggage behind the seats. I have a 9A tipup.

Any comments from those with the cords coming from the back?

Kent

Works for me. I just move the headsets out of the way as I load bags. Hey, worst case, unplug 'em. I mean, how long does that take? :rolleyes:

Pick your poison, wires up front and nothing in the way when you load bags (how often do you load bags relative to the # of times you fly?), or have wires in back and a sterile cockpit.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

I have the one cable/one jack Bose panel powered headsets (has a multipin connector for mic and phones). The jack is mounted on the top of the flap arm covers and the cables to the headsets run forward between the seat backs and side panels. I ran the wiring to the jacks along the sides, under the arm rests behind my upholstered side panels. Works great. No problems with baggage interference. Flying for 18 months that way. Wouldn't change a thing. I hang the headsets on hooks attached to my side panels down by the rudder pedals.

Here is a shot showing where I stow the headsets. The part of the sidepanel where the hook is "hooked" also holds sectional charts, since the top is left open.

Roberta

interior10yo.jpg

Off the Subject but visually related

I like the padding on your sticks below the grip. I constantly scrape the paint off of mine with the knee boards.

Bob Axsom

Those are pads for bicycle handle bars. Most bike shops that sell BMX parts will have them, if interested. I see I already posted this pic. OOPS!!

Roberta

Headphone jack location

I knew I did not want the headphone jacks located forward of my head based upon years of flying my C-150 knowing that the wires could sometimes pose a mild nuisance. After hours of visualization....you know....making "airplane noises" in the unfinished cockpit, I elected to install the headphone jacks as shown. This location provides unencumbered free access to the baggage area, keeps the loose wiring to a minimum and allows access to the jacks (if required) while in flight. I fabricated a pair of simple guards from .025 to help protect the back of the jacks.

Works for me.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
daniel_fisher said:
With all the wireless tech available these days, I wonder why none of this has translated into wireless aviation headsets???

DF

I would guess the hold-up is (real or imaginary) interference from the wireless transmissions. It sure would be nice, though.

That's a nice spot Rick. I was thinking of putting my jacks on the F-705 below the arm rest, but thought they might interfere with the flaps. Putting them above the arm rest with a little cover on the back eliminates that potential problem.

daniel_fisher said:
With all the wireless tech available these days, I wonder why none of this has translated into wireless aviation headsets???

DF
Wireless intercom has been under development for Marine Corps helicopter crews (and probably Air Force transport crews) for at least 5 years now. The major holdups have been communications clarity, EMI/RFI interference, system weight, battery life, and cost ($5k+ per crewmember).

***EDIT*** Holy post resurrection! Guess I shoulda looked at the last post's date before I threw my 2 cents in...

Last edited:
Headphone-mic jack location.

I am trying to determine the best location for my headphone-mic jacks, where are some of the different locations that builders have mounted them and were you happy with that location after you started flying. Again thanks for any information.

Ken Boyd

I put mine in my side pockets...

Hi there,

I bought the interior for my RV6 from Classic Aero interiors as its the best around in my view. So, once I got them, I noticed they had side pockets on each side (near my left shin) which were effectively aluminium covered with leather or whatever. I cut out a hole in the aluminium at the back and pop riveted a headjack holder (got from aircraft spruce) to the inside, running the cables through the hole behind it. This allowed me to plug my headset in just inside my side pocket which felt like the perfect place for me. I combined that with clip off cables (for when I want to remove the interior at annual etc..) and hey presto. It works great.

My headset jacks

I put mine in the baggage compartment, where they'll stay plugged in and hang on the baggage wall when not in use. I hate having wires in my lap when I fly, so having them in the rear keeps them out of the way.

FP17112007A0002K.jpg

Not there yet but I've been thinkin' about it. I am NOT going to have them drape accross my lap like those spam cans.

I really like Craig's location!

Remember that if they happen to get pulled out inadvertantly during flight, you'll want to have them someplace really handy to get them back in quick and safely. Having to reach way behind, if not impossible, may not be the safest option.

There are many old threads on this topic... a search should bring them up pretty quickly.

Good luck.

Under seat-back brace

I have installed them underneath the Seat-back brace, on the left and right. Out of the way (also for loading and unloading lugguage) and no cables in my lap during flying. I will make some sort of a "Headset hanger" in the rear, so I do not need to unplug them when not in use and it they will not be laying on the seats when getting in and out. They are also reachable in flight, if I need to plug/unplug them. I am not flying yet, but I expect this to be better than plugging them in, in the front somewhere.

Regards, Tonny

I installed mine in the lower left and right corners of the instrument panel.

They don't really lay across your lap, as some suggest. More up the side of your leg, out of the way.

This keeps them out of the way when loading baggage, which is a big thing for us as many times Torque the Wonder Dog (55 lb English Bull Dog) is in the baggage compartment when we take trips.

This location also keeps the volume control and battery compartment handy.

Like Craigs

You didn't mention what flavor of canopy you have. I mounted mine like Craig but they are farther forward. This location works great.

If you have a slider I'd put them behind if you can. Keeps the wires cleaned up a little.

Everyone makes their decision a little different. I mounted mine forward a bit on the vertical stringer forward of the spar. I was trying to minimize the wiring runs yet keep the headset wires out of the way. In the couple hours I've spent in the airplane, this location doesn't seem to be a problem.

Note headset jacks on left and right sides.

P4290094.JPG

Headset Jack Location

I mounted mine at the top of the baggage bulkhead. I wanted to keep all the headset wires behind me.

That said, one disadvantage is that my setup requires running long lengths of the 3-connector shielded wire. (I'm using the PS Engineering PM3000 intercom). The shielded wire is heavy and it is expensive! One nice thing about mounting your jacks in the panel or near the panel is your wire runs will be much shorter.

... Bill

I'm putting the jack's on Louise's new -6 panel ....on the panel (extreme left and right lower) for the reason cited above - very easy to wire up the whole panel in the shop. I think that no matter where you put them, there will be someone that says they're in the way. I like the rear mount option, except it would be hard to get at the volume/ANR control box on most of the headsets that have them - they'll be hanging behind your head.....

It's all a compromise, and I freely admit there is no single right answer. Wireless, that's what we want....;)

I've talked to more than one RVer who put them behind the seats somewhere and was not happy with the location after putting some hours on. The problem was access to it in flight ... 'twas impossible to reach back there once in the air. I suspect there were "distraction moments" where they forgot to plug the R seat phones in before takeoff, then discovered the problem once airborne. I dislike wires in my lap too, but I plan to run them to the left of my leg like Bill indicated. That's what I do now in a 172 ... works fine.

center location

I put mine in between the seats (RV6) at the top of the cross-beam. I then tied them up under the beam and routed them around to the outboard side of each seat. I don't ever remove my headsets from the airplane.

This scenario has two advantages: 1- you can put all the excess wiring up under the cross-beam and it never gets on your lap, in your controls, or in your luggage; 2- if anyone wants to steal your headsets, they're going to have to clip the cord, or spend 15 minutes cutting tie-wraps to be able to un-plug them.

I also have plumbed O2 along the same routes and hooked it up onto a cannula boom attached to the headset - but that's another topic.

G.

Best com jack location on RV-6?

I have an RV-6 and the com jacks are located behind the outboard shoulder of the occupant. Not very happy with this location since the headset wires sometimes get cinched by the seat.

Wondering what others have found to work well.

Karen

same-

I have mine on the outboard shoulder on the fuse- I like it there compared to other locations. The wires seem to get caught up when they are on the panel.

I ran mine to the center of the brace, right above the flap motor housing. The wires run down the left side of the cockpit and under the brace to a hole in the top of the flap housing side cover and the jacks are in the top of the brace. Not flight tested yet, of course, but the ground testing has been comfortable. The plugs sticking up from the brace with impede attempts to reach back into the baggage compartment, but I find that an awkward maneuver at best anyway and intend not to stow stuff I need in flight back there.

Mine are on the outboard edges of the sub-panel behind the instrument panel. This location works great for me. I lay the headsets out on the wing root while boarding and deboarding. Is deboarding a word? Getting out!

I couldn't decide where to locate them and looked for a place out of the way that was still accessible. This is what I came up with.

Where will your headsets be while getting in and out? Make sure that the cords won't be across the seats.

I placed my jacks at the lower corners of the I/P along the side skins. As far as the "spaghetti" is concerned, I put small clips along the underside of the deck rails and the headset wires run along these clips and exit behind the seats. There is still enough wire left to let you manouver your head and still be able to reach everything that you need to get at. This keeps the area clear of wires and also gives you the ability to get at the jacks if needed during flight.

Peter:cool:
RV-9A
Flying

Where will your headsets be while getting in and out? Make sure that the cords won't be across the seats.
Mine are also between the seats. I just place them in the empty seat. Or I place the one not in use, behind the passenger seat.

I mounted my headset jacks on the seat pans, in the outboard aft corners. Mounting boxes from Wicks.

jacksmounteduy5.jpg

jackswired2sh6.jpg

I placed mine at the back end of the armrests. An added benefit is that the box provides additional support for the armrest. I havn't flown this configuration yet but my dry runs show it easy to access without getting in the way.

Jekyll
7A

Back