What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich

backcountry

Well Known Member
I want to check my pitch settings.
The tool I have has two settings 2 and 3.
Is this the correct one to use on the RV-12?

No, the correct tool to use is TOOL-00002 provided by Van’s with the Powerplant kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 130
Is this for a Sensenich or a Whirlwind? My Sensenich GA has pitch pins. I use #6 on my RV6. Not sure what the RV12 requires, but I have 3 different pitch pins, each with a different pitch setting on each end. If you need a pitch setting higher than the 3 that you have, you can borrow mine.

Use of the pitch adjusting pins has never been recommended for the RV-12 because it was found that the accuracy varies widely from one propeller to another.
The only way to assure smooth operation is to use Tool-00002 (or something similar) with a digital angle measuring tool. The benefit of using Tool-00002 is that you can then use the angle value listed in the KAI as a starting point.

Use of the pitch adjusting pins has never been recommended for the RV-12 because it was found that the accuracy varies widely from one propeller to another.

Scott:

Does that apply to the larger Sensenich props with pitch pins, for example on RV6/7 with Lyc IO-360s? (Sorry to intrude on the RV-12 section, but have not been getting a reply elsewhere.)

Thanks

To further improve accuracy and repeatability of measuring blade pitch angle… I only use the digital level to check angle of blade against cabin longeron. I “zero” the digital level on the longeron and then use Tool-00002 to measure blade angle. I do not use the digital level to set prop hub level when rotating prop to check alternate blade. Instead, I use a separate small torpedo level to level the prop hub. This way the digital level retains its zero setting throughout the process. Occasionally I will verify that the digital level still shows zero on the longeron. Also important is to remove top spark plugs so engine turns very easily to prevent jostling the airplane. I made precision height spacers to level the prop hub and have them labeled L-R so they accurately repeat when removed and replaced on the hub. The procedure takes some finesse, but yields a very accurate blade pitch setting to within 0.1 degree.

Yes

Scott:

Does that apply to the larger Sensenich props with pitch pins, for example on RV6/7 with Lyc IO-360s? (Sorry to intrude on the RV-12 section, but have not been getting a reply elsewhere.)

Thanks

For sure. The pitch pins get you close, but my-9a I use the gauge Vans sells to fine tune it. Without that, vibration is more noticeable.

Scott:

Thanks

I only have experience with the version of the prop for the Rotax 912 but if the design concept on the other propellers is the same, I would assume there will be the same potential for variability from one blade to another.

I just ordered TOOL-00002. Can’t wait to see how far out the pitch pins are (Sensenich GA prop - RV6).

I have seen differences of more than .5 degrees.
Experience has shown that any more than .1 degree difference can noticeably affect smoothness.
It is very important that when taking angle measurements each blade be in exactly the same rotational position. I prefer to check this by careful measuring the elevation above a point marked on the ground rather than using a level on the hub which can have a small amount of variability depending on how you read it each time (a very small rotational position change of the propeller can show up as a difference in the measured angle). For the three blade version, the only choice is to measure the height of the blade from the ground.

I prefer to check this by careful measuring the elevation above a point marked on the ground rather than using a level on the hub which can have a small amount of variability depending on how you read it each time (a very small rotational position change of the propeller can show up as a difference in the measured angle).

I like this and will incorporate your idea. Well documented...

My Vans kit came with a pitch pin 2 & 3. What I would like to know is this a good pitch this a good pitch setting for the RV-12.
I originally set the pitch with the Digital method back in 2017. My plane climbs faster and cruises slower than the other 5 RV-12 on the field.
I want to check out different pitch settings. I’d like to use the Sensenich pin and fine adjust with the Digital method.
So what I’d like to know is has anyone set the pitch on a RV-12 using the Sensenich pin. If so what PIN number did you use. That way I’ll have a starting point

Thanks for the responses! I'll be doing the manual fine-tuning on my new prop. A friend had told me that he had gotten vibrations after a pitch adjustment, but his is an older model and he thought perhaps the pin adjustment system had been improved. Guess not.

My Vans kit came with a pitch pin 2 & 3. What I would like to know is this a good pitch this a good pitch setting for the RV-12.
I originally set the pitch with the Digital method back in 2017. My plane climbs faster and cruises slower than the other 5 RV-12 on the field.
I want to check out different pitch settings. I’d like to use the Sensenich pin and fine adjust with the Digital method.
So what I’d like to know is has anyone set the pitch on a RV-12 using the Sensenich pin. If so what PIN number did you use. That way I’ll have a starting point

As I mentioned already, Van's doesn't recommend a setting using the pitch pins (but they come with the propeller because Sensenich includes them in the box).

The recommended pitch setting degree value can be found in the propeller install section of the KAI (and possibly the PAP, I can't remember if it is there as well).
If this setting does not give you the performance you are after then you can change the pitch value slightly and see if you like it ( I would suggest increasing pitch in .2 degree increments until you can keep up with your flying buddy's).
An alternative would be to ask them what setting tool and pitch value they are using, and then adjust to that and see if you like it.

Back