What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Static Altimeter check

backcountry

Well Known Member
Question: Do you happen to know when you get your pitot static altimeter check IFR.Do you have to get the back up altimeter also certified.
The shops double the price for two altimeters.
AOPA couldn’t answer the question when it comes to what the regulations say. They thought if it’s experimental you could do whatever you want but I’m not sure that correct or not either.

You need another shop. Doubling the number of altimeters does not double the work. There’s a lot of set up time which is independent of how many altimeters there are. Once set up, my guy writes down two, instead of one, sets of numbers on his test card. And if one fails (and I’ll have his data so I know by how much) I won’t hesitate to placard it ‘VFR’. My Op Limits say for ifr, I must have the equipment required by 91.205. It doesn’t say everything on board has to be approved, just the minimum required by .205.

You need another shop. Doubling the number of altimeters does not double the work. There’s a lot of set up time which is independent of how many altimeters there are. Once set up, my guy writes down two, instead of one, sets of numbers on his test card. And if one fails (and I’ll have his data so I know by how much) I won’t hesitate to placard it ‘VFR’. My Op Limits say for ifr, I must have the equipment required by 91.205. It doesn’t say everything on board has to be approved, just the minimum required by .205.

Bob, I think it’s a bit presumptuous for you to consider every airplane is like yours. For example I do lots of twins that have an AHRS and dual analog altimeters which must removed and run on the bench along with one or more altitude encoders, so yes basically the work can double, especially if it a pressurized A/C with dual P-S systems.

So it really depends on the aircraft and equipment installed. If I can run dual AHRS simultaneously then that’s great, but often a second or third analog alt is installed and must be removed and run on the bench.

Interpreting the rules is somewhat a grey area but for myself if 2 altimeters are installed and in the primary view of the pilot then they both must pass. The only time I will placard one VFR ONLY is if it’s a copilot’s altimeter and not in the primary view of the pilot. In a pressurized AC they both must pass.

If an RV has dual sensitive analog altimeters they both must pass in my shop.
I do quite a few aircraft with dual AHRS and a backup, all must pass if you want a sticker from me.

Last edited:
... I do lots of twins that have an AHRS and dual analog altimeters which must removed and run on the bench along with one or more altitude encoders, so yes basically the work can double, especially if it a pressurized A/C with dual P-S systems.

I don't know about many experimental pressurized twins with dual P/S systems. You once told me you only did static checks on experimentals when I asked you about doing one on a Cardinal. I guess it was just me. :confused:

Just had my G3X and G5 tested and it took all of 40 min. Each system tested at same time. Both were needed because each is plumbed to the dynamic and static lines and have independed ADAHRS. Cost me 5.5 AMUs. As I read CFR 91.411 (b)2 as manufacturer of my RV I am permitted to do this myself if I knew how. Kit Planes to the rescue! Marty

Gee, Walt, I don’t think it was presumptuous at all to think, since this is an RV forum, that we were talking about single engine, non pressurized airplanes, with almost none of them having 3 analog altimeters or multiple encoders.

Just had my G3X and G5 tested and it took all of 40 min. Each system tested at same time. Both were needed because each is plumbed to the dynamic and static lines and have independed ADAHRS. Cost me 5.5 AMUs. As I read CFR 91.411 (b)2 as manufacturer of my RV I am permitted to do this myself if I knew how. Kit Planes to the rescue! Marty

Is the world going crazy? I know the equipment (and frequent re-calibration) is expensive, but $5K for an hour’s work?
My re-cert is scheduled for tomorrow. I’ll report back on the price.

Edit. See post below.
Marty, I’m pretty sure an AMU is the mass of a proton (atomic mass unit), or Aviation Monetary Unit defined as $1K. You may wish to edit your post.

Last edited:

I remember a few decades ago when aviation was cheaper but AMUs have pretty much always been $1000 because a $100 hamburger isn't anything someone complains about.

I don't know about many experimental pressurized twins with dual P/S systems. You once told me you only did static checks on experimentals when I asked you about doing one on a Cardinal. I guess it was just me. :confused:

Must have been a misunderstanding, 91.411 requires a static system check, maybe you’re thinking pitot system which is not a requirement on non pressurized aircraft for the 91.411 cert.. I do tons of certified aircraft 91.411/91.413 checks as well as EAB obviously.

Last edited:
As I read CFR 91.411 (b)2 as manufacturer of my RV I am permitted to do this myself if I knew how. Kit Planes to the rescue! Marty

Been hashed over many times, short answer is only a certified repair station is allowed to do this work.

Must have been a misunderstanding, 91.411 requires a static system check, maybe you’re thinking pitot system which is not a requirement on non pressurized aircraft for the 91.411 cert.. I do tons of certified aircraft 91.411/91.413 checks as well as EAB obviously.

No, it was a simple IFR altimeter check. No biggie, I got someone else to do it.

My guy charges around 300 for the IFR check. The first two times, he happily over looked the G5 calibration when I told him it was backup only. The last time he just checked it anyway at no charge. Lady up front said he did me a solid as that is normally an additional 100. They are a garmin shop and the G5 tracks within 20' of the G3X, so likely didn't take any extra work beyond observing the G5 at the same time.

All this is to say the practices and the rates charged seem quite variable for this service.

As promised, here’s my report on today’s ifr pitot-static/transponder check: $300.
Two ADHRS (one dynon, one grt) driving two altimeter displays. Grt internal encoder drives the transponder. He comes to my hangar with portable equipment.

Nothing against the guys that work out of their car that do inspections, but I consider my shop practices and equipment along with in-house bench repair/calibration ability to be superior in most cases. (Laversab 6300 RVSM P-S tester and Viavi AVX10 with bench testing/adjustment/repair capabilities for many units in house). Not many shops have high accuracy test equipment that is able to calibrate certified aircraft AHRS like the Garmin GDC74 air data computer for example like I do.

Like most things in life, you generally get what you pay for, but who knows/cares.
If a guy is searching for the low bidder to work on his aircraft, you should cross me off your list :eek:
My charge for the same service you got, probably $400-$450 assuming we didn't have to spend time fixing static leaks, but you would have to bring it to my shop, I don't do portable. I also give every aircraft that has an AHRS at least a 30 min warm-up while hooked up to a rather costly GPU so as not to run down your battery.
(PS: sounds like a panel update is in your future Bob)

Last edited:
Back