What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR certification with 3 altimeters

turbo

Well Known Member
I have 3 altimeters. what's the regs on how many need to be certified during the IFR cert. thanks.

I only have two (only?) and they both get checked. Not sure if that's per regulation, or per "Why have a standby that isn't known working"?

I have 3 altimeters as well....Advanced Flight EFIS, G5, and a standard round gauge. Last IFR cert, the round gauge didn't make the cut and was placarded for VFR only, but the airplane was still signed off for IFR.

I have 3 altimeters as well....Advanced Flight EFIS, G5, and a standard round gauge. Last IFR cert, the round gauge didn't make the cut and was placarded for VFR only, but the airplane was still signed off for IFR.

With multiple altimeters this approach sure seems reasonable. I also have done this in the past, but don't know if it is consistent with the regulations given the 91.411 cited above.

With multiple altimeters this approach sure seems reasonable. I also have done this in the past, but don't know if it is consistent with the regulations given the 91.411 cited above.

I don't know either, but my avionics A&P seemed confident.

In MacCool's example BOTH were checked, but one failed and was tagged. So they know not to rely on it.

OP's question sounded to me like, "do I have to check them all" I truly hope the answer is check them all, and tag two if you must, but know their status.

Last edited:
I also have three altimeters and all three get calibrated at the same time as the transponder check is done. Not cheap but I do enjoy the redundancy.

Back