camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2022, 08:52 PM

Default Letís talk engine pre-heaters..

So, Iíve been using a thermostat controlled heater to heat our engines when the temps drop below 40įF in the hangar.

I recently started wondering if there was a better process and/or if this caused any damage due to condensation.

Iíve now realized this is a pretty big debate on the internet.

My research led me down the road to the Switcheon product. And in my research on that, I noticed it too has an option to be thermostatically controlled.

Iíve also seen dehydrators.

So, Iím wondering if I keep my thermostat setup and add in a dehydrator if that would be more beneficial than just switching to a Switcheon cellular setup.

Iím curious as to what you guys may be doing.

Anyonr?
Old 11-21-2022, 10:08 PM
been here awhile

Rieff oil sump pad running 24/7 November through March. Cowl plugs and blanket inside an insulated hangar. Been doing it this way for twenty years.

I realize this is controversial for some....but you asked.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:16 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. That said, If you go the cellular route, I would opt for:
  1. Cellular hotspot
  2. Create a local wifi network
  3. Add smart outlets

With smart outlets you have much greater control. You can get pretty geeky, including custom coded control through APIs. Added benefit, you have internet access in your hanger for database updates and VAF access!

I currently use smart outlets for my engine heater and dehydrator.

If you go the cellular switch/relay make sure it's at least 4G...3G networks are slowly being depreciated.
2023 Dues Paid
Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Rieff oil sump pad running 24/7 November through March. Cowl plugs and blanket inside an insulated hangar. Been doing it this way for twenty years.

I realize this is controversial for some....but you asked.
I'm good with a little controversy.

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Do you know what temp your Rieff keeps your engine at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. That said, If you go the cellular route, I would opt for:
  1. Cellular hotspot
  2. Create a local wifi network
  3. Add smart outlets

With smart outlets you have much greater control. You can get pretty geeky, including custom coded control through APIs. Added benefit, you have internet access in your hanger for database updates and VAF access!

I currently use smart outlets for my engine heater and dehydrator.

If you go the cellular switch/relay make sure it's at least 4G...3G networks are slowly being depreciated.
Yeh, I'm all "smart house" at home. Being able to lay in bed and turn out the spotlights is amazing. LOL

I've considered the hotspot route, but I'm not sure what the cheapest I could get a plan for would be.

Any idea?
Old 11-22-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I've considered the hotspot route, but I'm not sure what the cheapest I could get a plan for would be.

Any idea?
The cheapest I could get was $5 for 500/MB/Month T-Mobile service. ($10 - $5 with autopay).
2023 Dues Paid

Last edited by avrojockey : 11-22-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
The cheapest I could get was $5 for 500/MB/Month T-Mobile service. ($10 - $5 with autopay).
Iíll have to see if I can find someone at T-mobile thatíll offer me that.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Do you know what temp your Rieff keeps your engine at

?
Rieff told me 40 degrees above ambient.
Miss March 2020
Old 11-22-2022, 06:42 AM

I recently went with the Switcheon unit (two outlets) and really like it. No need to set up a separate phone number/sim card/account etc. Cost is $50 per year after the first year which is free. If I need internet access when I am at the hangar, I just use the hotspot on my phone.

I have a Tanis heater pad on the sump and their heater element on the plug that holds in the suction screen (I don't believe it is available anymore). Have a fitted cowl wrap made out of some Harbor Freight moving blankets. Generally have it turn on 3 or 4 hours before flight. Also on the same Switcheon unit, I have a small (about 200 watts) ceramic heater in the cockpit.

With the blanket on the cow0,l the whole engine warms up not just the oil if left on for long enough.

Keith
lurking for years but now paid
Old 11-22-2022, 08:15 AM
been here awhile

Quote:

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Do you know what temp your Rieff keeps your engine at?
Oil and CHT is maintained at ~80F. The heater is thermostatically limited to 150F so the oil isn't stressed. The entire engine compartment is warm including the battery. I think this is important because of that large lump of iron in the engine that has a six-foot heat sink bolted to it. I have to wonder if some of the quickie warming schemes get the crank and journals warm.

The airplane thinks it is spending the winter in Florida......
Old 11-22-2022, 08:20 AM

Iíve been using Switcheon for a few years now. I have OK-but-not-great cellphone reception, and no wifi. The Switcheon has been excellent. Completely reliable, always works, simple to use. Excellent support. $50 per year (first year is free). It uses a simple app, no sims, no text messages, no cellphone contracts. I use it to turn on my Reiff engine pre-heater and my Hornet 45 cockpit heater. I have rarely used any temperature-based automations but routinely use the timer. A cellular hotspot isnít feasible where I amÖthat was what I first investigatedÖbut the Switcheon is so simple that I canít even imagine the need for the hassles of going through a cell phone provider for anything.

The Reiff has a sump heater and cylinder bands. If I run it for 6 hours, Iíve never seen starting oil temps below 100įF. The whole engine compartment is warm.

The Hornet cockpit heater has its own thermostat always set at 45įF. Iíve not seen any value in leaving either it or the Reiff heater on all the time. Heating/cooling probably does create some degree of condensation at times as the changing temp crosses the dew point, but I do keep the engine on a dehydrator 24/7/365.

I do really like the Hornet45 cockpit heater. The thing is designed to be intrinsically safeÖI could never get comfortable just putting a hardware-store space heater or milk house heater with duct tape and ductwork in my airplane, but my Conforfoam seats are hard as a board when cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A82CC258-DCBD-4900-AE1B-B1FD55C9E88D.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	34143  
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 11-22-2022 at 08:41 AM.