- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:31 AM

Default RV-7 vs. RV-14 Decision

So here's the new builder just about to pull the trigger on a -7 empennage kit. Looked at several, sat in a few, and even at my 6'3" 250lb size had convinced myself I could fit. Cozy, but doable.

Last minute doubts set in. The larger cockpit size and MTOW of the -14 just keeps nagging the back of my mind.

Sure, I'll have to dig up another mason jar in the back yard for the budget increase, but I've begun to wonder if the comfort and overall usefulness for a guy my size won't be worth the extra AMU's.

Looking for the brain trust here to help me out:
Anybody got time and/or experience with both the 7 and the 14?
Any completed 14's in the central Florida area that would be willing to let me take a peek at their plane?

Thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to offer.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Boy View Post
So here's the new builder just about to pull the trigger on a -7 empennage kit. Looked at several, sat in a few, and even at my 6'3" 250lb size had convinced myself I could fit. Cozy, but doable.

Last minute doubts set in. The larger cockpit size and MTOW of the -14 just keeps nagging the back of my mind.

Sure, I'll have to dig up another mason jar in the back yard for the budget increase, but I've begun to wonder if the comfort and overall usefulness for a guy my size won't be worth the extra AMU's.

Looking for the brain trust here to help me out:
Anybody got time and/or experience with both the 7 and the 14?
Any completed 14's in the central Florida area that would be willing to let me take a peek at their plane?

Thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to offer.
I'm 6'4" around 265 with a 6A. The almost -14 seatback kit solves most of the cockpit space issues. For me, baggage load/CG is the limiting factor. for camping it is mostly a single person operation. The 7 will be better, but unless the other person is small you will have to pack light to stay in CG when fuel gets low. If camping isn't really your thing it should be fine.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Sit in it

Definitely sit in a RV14. The extra dollars comes with more performance and easier construction. But alao note there is no slider for the 14.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Default By all means fly in the 14 first.

I built a 7, 5-8 150, the cockpit is snug when large passengers are in there.

Another consideration for you and depends on your mission. The 14 is two generations more advanced in the design, quality of design for assembly, and completeness for it's consideration of wiring and all the other items to be installed in a finished aircraft. As an engineer I was so thrilled to see how much Vans had addressed all the little things I found in the 7.

My opinion is that, if you are a first time builder, you will make faster progress in the 14 towards your first flight. So if you can swing the increased cost, it will pay off in less consumption of your time to first flight.

It will be just as fast, thrifty, and higher carry capacity that the 7.

RV-7

Last edited by BillL : 05-12-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
The extra dollars comes with more performance and easier construction.
More performance? All of the performance specs Vans lists are lower for the 14 compared to the 7. The 14 of course has the advantage over the 7 for cockpit room, big fellas, and baggage. The 7 is significantly lighter, higher power-to-weight, lower stall, shorter landing, faster climbing, faster cruise, more responsive controls, more roll rate, etc. Just more of a pure sports car compared to a sport touring vehicle.

Last edited by luddite42 : 05-12-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Randy,

All RVs are better than non-RVs, so there is no wrong choice.

If you have the cash, do the 14. It will go together faster and you will be a hero with your wife or significant other. It will also have a higher resale value if you, like me, catch the building bug and become a repeat offender.

Do not try to use any engine other than the IO-390 as this plane needs all the extra ponies.

Flying the 14A I found it to be an honest plane, almost as heavy on the controls as my RV-10 but not as nimble as my RV-8. It also does not have the efficiency of the RV-8. Both the RV-8 and RV-10 are faster (top end and efficient LOP cruise) assuming standard engines, props and typical weights.

Shoot fire - the RV-14 is a two place RV-10. For another ~$30K over the total cost of an RV-14 you can have an RV-10. For me this makes the RV decision simple. My next RV will be another RV-10.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 05-12-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Default What?s your mission?

I?m 6?3? and 250# and wanted a traveling machine. I could ?fit? into a 7 or an 8, but i?d need to be out walking around, stretching my legs every couple of hours. I built the 14. My adult daughter and I flew it to Oshkosh with all our camping gear for the week last year. No problem. Three weeks ago I took another guy almost my size on a 1,400+ mile day trip to look at an airplane. Seven and a half hours of total comfort, round trip on 63 gallons. Better than 22 mpg at an average ground speed of 187mph. No intermediate stops. Easy day. The 14 fits my mission, couldn?t be happier. If you just plan local short flights, fly outs to breakfast or lunch, a 7 may fit your mission.
N1477M
Kit #140329
If I had a nickel for every time I didn?t know what was going on, I?d be, like, ?Why am I always getting all these nickels??
Ka-CHING
Old 05-12-2020, 10:20 AM

At your size, definitely go with the 14 over the 7.

The -14 will cost you ~$150K, about $50K more than a -7. For a bit more, you could build a -10. The downside is the -10 isn't aerobatic and can't be built as a taildragger.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Default So timely

This is so timely, as just days ago I had changed my choice from a 7 to the 14. My kicker was, after all the research and digging ( yes, another anal engineer...) the 14 makes more sense as an IFR platform for us. My primary wish is a stable IFR cruiser, which I gather the 7 is "less of", and it's GOT to have the little wheel on the rear as well. I've read the writings of many very experienced RV guys that say, the 7 can be more of a hand-full for IFR stuff, so it's the 14 for us also.

Just another POV
Old 05-12-2020, 11:13 AM

I sat in a -7 with the almost 14 seat mod. It was really roomy, more room than I need. I'm sure anyone would be happy with the 7.

However, I liked the idea that the 14 was the newest, latest and greatest, the prepunched holes are easier to put together, and in the long run $30k isn't going to move the needle one way or the other. And it's aerobatic. I ordered the 14.