Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Garmin Service Bulletin 2069 - Kavlico Pressure Sensor Inspection

Good Afternoon,

In coordination with our industry partners and in response to a small number of field reports relating to leaking fuel pressure sensors, we have released Service Bulletin 2069, which includes guidance to review current sensor installations and take action if deemed necessary. We are continuing to look into the known occurrences, if the root cause is determined to be installation related we will further update our installation guidance, if it is found to be sensor related, we will take action to keep G3X customers safe and informed.

Drawing on our long history in both the certified and experimental aircraft markets, we have designed an inspection procedure to ensure that, under certain circumstances, fuel pressure sensors are not being exposed to excessive pressures due to thermal expansion within the fuel lines. The service bulletin contains further guidance for subsequent steps to be taken upon completion of the inspection procedure.

We would like to thank our industry partners for collaborating with us to address this issue, and as a group help to ensure no safety issues relevant to the fuel pressure sensors are being overlooked.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 PM

Just read through this SB, but it doesn’t make sense to me. Return to service if everything checks out ok?? It could fail tomorrow or next week or who knows when. Why not just allow replacement if there is a known issue with them?
AUO
Old 05-16-2020, 09:25 PM

Default So...

My question is this:

I am getting ready for a first start. Should I replace the sensor first?

Have they made any changes to the sensor design to warrant pre-emptively changing it?

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM

"...Have they made any changes to the sensor design to warrant pre-emptively changing it?..."

Yes, the SB's reference a new, much more robust design for around $85 each (you would probably need 2). They don't mention whether the improved design was undertaken as a result of the failures.

Retaining the old sensors after all the reports of failures would be rolling the dice on a potential in-flight fire.

So far I haven't seen any offers from the manufacturer to exchange the improved product for the flawed one, or at least provide the improved product at cost, similar to what Slick did with their magneto SB1-15A

So it looks like we're going to be out about $170 to get this fixed
Old 05-17-2020, 02:43 PM

I "did" the SB yesterday - mainly an inspection - but wondered the same thing.

My oil pressure is the -150 model, fuel pressure is the -50

But I don't think the new ones are even available yet, are they?
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShort View Post
I "did" the SB yesterday - mainly an inspection - but wondered the same thing.

My oil pressure is the -150 model, fuel pressure is the -50

But I don't think the new ones are even available yet, are they?
What was your fuel pressure 5 min after a hot shutdown?

RV-7
Old 05-17-2020, 05:05 PM

the AFS SB has the info on the old and new part nos.

https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...in-050620a.php

They also say they have the new ones available
Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
What was your fuel pressure 5 min after a hot shutdown?
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me (written down elsewhere), but shutdown was ~23psi, it went up 0.1 or 0.2 in the first couple minutes then steadily trended downward after that.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 05-18-2020, 03:16 PM

Default Service Bulletin Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV74ME View Post
Just read through this SB, but it doesn?t make sense to me. Return to service if everything checks out ok?? It could fail tomorrow or next week or who knows when. Why not just allow replacement if there is a known issue with them?
Certain fuel system configurations are capable of producing pressures well beyond the normal operating pressures of the fuel system, in specific circumstances. The service bulletin procedure was designed to identify if this is happening in your aircraft.

We have been conducting in-house testing and found that the Kavlico sensors significantly exceed the listed pressure ratings, they exceed the FAA burst pressure requirements, and there are tens of thousands flying with over a decade of field service.

If you are uncomfortable using the sensor, we now offer the TSO?d version out of an abundance of caution (Garmin Part Number 011-04202-20). The old 50 PSI Kavlico is being replaced by the TSO?d Kavlico with a higher operating pressure of 75 psi sensor. The TSO?d 75 PSI has a published burst pressure of 600 psi, compared to 150 psi for the previous sensor. Each TSO?d sensor is also pressure tested by Garmin before being shipped to you. The testing includes a verification of the accuracy too.

We are constantly improving our systems and sharing new information to help customers make informed decisions about 3rd party sensors. We?ll take appropriate actions to keep G3X customers safe and informed. Improvements and safety updates are found in the latest release of the G3X Installation Manual, 190-01115-01.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Kavlico Fuel Pressure Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post
"...Have they made any changes to the sensor design to warrant pre-emptively changing it?..."

Yes, the SB's reference a new, much more robust design for around $85 each (you would probably need 2). They don't mention whether the improved design was undertaken as a result of the failures.

Retaining the old sensors after all the reports of failures would be rolling the dice on a potential in-flight fire.

So far I haven't seen any offers from the manufacturer to exchange the improved product for the flawed one, or at least provide the improved product at cost, similar to what Slick did with their magneto SB1-15A

So it looks like we're going to be out about $170 to get this fixed
We have seen a very small number of failures of these sensors in the field. The G3X is compatible with a wide range of sensors, if out of an abundance of caution, you wish to move to a different sensor, Table 24-1 in the installation manual provides specifications for what types of sensors are compatible, as well as some specific sensors that can be used with the system.

Moving forward, the 50 PSI Kavlico is being replaced by the TSO?d Kavlico (Garmin Part Number 011-04202-20) with a higher operating pressure of 75 psi sensor. The TSO?d 75 PSI has a published burst pressure of 600 psi, compared to 150 psi for the previous sensor. Each TSO?d sensor is also pressure tested by Garmin before being shipped to you.

Thanks,

Justin