Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2020, 07:40 PM

Default New GRT flight data analysis tools with support for Garmin, Dynon and AFS too.

Updated 3-Jun-20: v4.0 released. View this post for more information.

You can find my free public domain Microsoft Excel-based software here and view much of the information in this post with higher resolution images and embedded videos.

Greetings all.

Last September, I offered a new free tool for GRT users to analyze and view their flight data CSV files. I've since updated it. A lot. And for Garmin and Dynon users, yes, it can look at your CSV files too. But GRT users, with our nearly complete access to EFIS data, get a much cooler picture of our flights. Read on about my updated software.

My original program would take the CSV file recorded from flight, calculate some statistics, graphed various parameters and plot your flight in Google Earth. Example of graphs shown below.

I've since made the code much faster, added a myriad of new parameters and added a "virtual pilot" view so you can watch your flight in Google Earth, rewind, fast-forward, pause, etc., complete with a wind vector representation and a ground course indicator. Example flight over the Sierra Nevadas and Lake Tahoe (from a GRT CSV file).

Flight over Sierra Nevadas

Here's a 4.5-hour flight from 03PR to KEIK compressed to 4 minutes. Again, note the flight director crosshairs and wind vector indicator (from a Garmin CSV file).

4.5 hour flight from San Diego to Colorado

If you're into aerobatics, here are two aileron rolls (from a Garmin CSV file).

Aerobatics

Now, the rest is only for GRT users, and for us, this is where it gets really fun. We all recall that we can record our flight using a "demo recording", for later playback on any GRT EFIS. In those LOG files are all the data from all serial port inputs. Thus, a nearly complete capture of flight data is retained in the LOG files.

GRT kindly provides the format of those binary files. The files can include data from your ADS-B receiver (Stratux, SkyRadar or any GDL90 compliant device like the GTX-345), should you have it connected to your EFIS. So the demo files have a full record of every ADS-B packet received during your flight. Which means, you can visualize other aircraft with Google Earth and rewind, fast-forward, pause, etc. Let's take a look at what we can now do.

First, you get a lot more parameters to view (see above pic).

You can get a list of all aircraft in the sky during your flight. A full list is constructed including callsign, registration, type, manufacturer, owner, etc.

All aircraft flight paths can be rendered in Google Earth at the click of a button. Here are two examples from KDEN. Red is a descending flightpath, green is ascending.

KDEN Traffic 0436 - 1800 UTC.

KDEN Traffic 1800 - 0441 UTC.

Here's an example from very late at night through to in the morning, showing the flight paths of mainly cargo aircraft and passenger transcons.

Front Range, CO traffic 0436-1300 UTC.

You can click on any aircraft and get a plethora of data about it, including its past flights, owner, type, etc. and even an actual picture of that specific aircraft uniquely determined by its registration. Many aircraft are accurately represented by the more than 30 icons I include.

You can simply get a handle on how many planes are in the sky during your flight.

You can animate your flight with all other aircraft in the sky. ?Ownship? is always the green RV icon. Here's a flight from KMCK to KOIN.

Flight animation from KMCK to KOIN video

In addition to viewing other aircraft from your GRT EFIS' LOG file ADS-B data, you can independently look at data from any Beast Raw (dump1090-based receivers) or GDL90 source (e.g., Stratux., FlightAware, FlightRadar24, ADSBx, etc.). Here's a nearly 24-hour animation of aircraft along the Front Range starting at 0436 UTC and ending at about 0400 UTC the next day.

24-hours of aircraft video

You can click on any aircraft to see its ADS-B report at that time.

Or, you can take the perspective of your cockpit and see the other aircraft flying around you, like this:

Or, you can select any aircraft and hop in to their cockpit to see the situation from their view.

Virtual pilot video

You can project current FAA charts on to the terrain.

FAA charts video

In all cases, you can either use Google Earth's terrain or project any FAA aviation chart onto the terrain instead (e.g., VFR, IFR high/low, etc.).

For short flights, it's quite quick on a modern computer. GDL90 data is faster to process than raw ADS-B data (e.g., from SkyRadar). Though dependent on the number of aircraft in the sky with you, to give you an idea of processing time, my 2-year old computer can process an hour of SkyRadar data in a 1 minute. An hour of GDL90 data processes in less than a minute. Older computers or those with a hard drive (rather than a solid state drive) will be slower.

GDL90 data sources restrict the radius of reported aircraft (to reduce data rate into the EFIS). The SkyRadar passes all data regardless of distance so you will see far more aircraft with a SkyRadar than a GDL90 source. I have run both simultaneously on the same flight and though the SkyRadar sees more, they generally see the same aircraft in your immediate vicinity.

You can find my free public domain Microsoft Excel-based software here and view much of the information in this post with higher resolution images and embedded videos.

http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/

Go here for my free, public-domain, comprehensive GRT LOG and CSV flight data analysis program. Also swallows CSV files from Garmin, Dynon and AFS. Create complete and versatile graphs and Google Earth KMZ files based on your flight. And for GRT LOG files users, a near complete ADS-B picture.

My RV-14A's POH and checklists (condition inspection and flight) are here.

Last edited by RV-14E : 07-01-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Spectacular

I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for all the time and effort.

Cheers, Sean
Donated to Nov 2021
Old 05-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Very cool stuff - thanks for all the hard work you've put into developing it.

Now I have an excuse to actually download the files from my GRT memory sticks! :-)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
...Now I have an excuse to actually download the files from my GRT memory sticks! :-)
You can also upload them here for some interesting analysis: https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home
Old 05-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
You can also upload them here for some interesting analysis: https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home
Well, that's a great idea, but it will be an even better idea once I have a GRT engine monitor installed!

(I've got the hardware, the EIS-66R and a new Sport EX EFIS sitting on the shelf waiting to replace the currently installed dedicated engine monitor. Soon, soon...)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:05 PM

great tool!

would you consider adding *.ALD support for advanced flight systems EFIS?
Nothing else than a specific csv file format with header.

i'm using another open excel based analysis tool so far, but yours appears to be much more refined! and more recent and with a much improved google earth integration... nice job!!!

a typical header, fields and first data point line look like this (the <LINEBREAK> are added by me to make it more clear):

Code:
AF-4000s Software Version: S8.8.40-MV15     SN: 61041 <LINEBREAK>
DATE, TIME, ALTITUDE, AIRSPEED, BATVOLTS, VOLTS, OAT, BACKVOLTS, VERTSPEED, FUEL_COMP, RPM, MANIFOLD, FUEL_PSI, FUEL_FLOW, AMPS_SHUNT, AMPS_HALL, OIL_PSI, OIL_TEMP, CARB_TEMP, TANK_1, TANK_2, EGT_1, EGT_2, EGT_3, EGT_4, CHT_1, CHT_2, CHT_3, CHT_4, HP, ELEV_TRIM, AIL_TRIM, FLAP_ANG, FLIGHT_TIME, TACH_TIME, HOBBS_TIME, TODAY_TIME, INPUTS_123, PITCH, ROLL, HEADING, SLIP, G_METER, AHRS_STATUS, LATITUDE, LONGITUDE, GROUND_SPD, TRACK_DTRUE, TRACK_DMAG, BARO<LINEBREAK>
12/15/19,11:18:09, 2070, 78, 8.4, 14.1, 11, 3.1, -820, 16.8, 1163, 7.7, 10, 1.9, 0, 149, 52, 177, 5, 9.2, 15.6, 738, 684, 728, 723, 224, 229, 238, 224, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.04, 468.0, 605.2, 1.2, 000, -13.86, 2.1, 96.9, 0.03, 0.9, 0x0100, 47.45226, 8.24511, 97, 78, 75, 29.79<LINEBREAK and next data point>
another "specialty" with AFS is that it offers to record the logs to files simply by extracting the data from non-volatile memory, looking at a certain elapsed time back from NOW in hours / and decimal hours.
Upside is you can potentially retrieve large amounts of data without having to configure anything / setup recording, even going back for several hours.
But a side effect of this mechanism is that when you retrieve every flight just before shutdown (as part of the shutdown checklist as we do), the file will usually start with a short artifact of the previous flight (usually another date/time or hours before on the same day)
When you download, let's say 1.4hrs (value gets preset by EFIS and conservatively covers the duration of the flight just ending), at the very beginning of the file you have to expect up to a few minutes of data that really belongs to another flight before.
If the toolchain could also somehow filter that out, it would be awesome! Basically forward to the first "jump" in date/timestamps by more than a few seconds and only then start using the data.
Also, the user can configure his system to by default log at different intervals. We log at 1s, but it is possible to see other intervals in an *.ALD log file. But they will always be at a fixed interval and the absolute timestamp will show what rate is used.

i certainly could hack something together, but there is bigger benefit for all if you could add that support in the "main branch" of your tool ;-)

thanks for your work!

bernie
RV-7A
S/N 72072, Flying!
HB-YMT (Switzerland)

Last edited by flyvans.com : 05-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:10 AM

Default Great Job!

Super!! Been using your software this winter to monitor the engine data from my RVs and it has been a great tool. Thank you!!
Granbury, Tx
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/WYQQ#history/assets
Old 05-11-2020, 10:28 AM

I have older GRT EFIS that do not create .csv files only .log files. I take it that the latest version uses these to plot all the data contained in .csv and more?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Old 05-11-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I have older GRT EFIS that do not create .csv files only .log files. I take it that the latest version uses these to plot all the data contained in .csv and more?
It works on my GRT HX units. Follow the instructions in the Excell spreadsheet under the "Welcome" tab. Scroll down to the "How to Setup Data Logging on your GRT EFIS" and follow those instructions. Have a usb stick plugged in and you will get lots of data, both csv and demo files.
Granbury, Tx
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/WYQQ#history/assets
Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM

When I authorize Marcos as instructed I get a Compile Error. I'm using Excel 2007 but it's a Visual Basic error.

I've tried your contact thru the blog and I get a 404 error when I enter my email address.

A feature I'd like to see is to compare two flights. I do that manually by printing out graphs of spreadsheets but to see them on the screen would be great. I use this as a tool to look for trends prior to starting condition inspection. I look at a recent flight and compare it to flights just prior to previous condition inspections.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Butcher