- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Default A Nice Day on the Beach?

Just returned from our vacations in scenic and friendly Scotland with my wife Tina and the -6. The first week was spent in the Hebrides and the second in the Shetland islands.
Whilst there are many unlicensed strips on all the islands and the mainland, the fascination of legally landing on an open beach still rated high on my aviation bucket list… checking for the tide times before setting off is kinda exciting

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder

Last edited by Dan 57 : 05-17-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Leaving our base at Glenforsa (another Scottish aviation paradise), I threaded my way through the islands of Muck, Rum, Canna and Skye, and reached the Outer Hebrides and the island of North Uist where the beach of Sollas is located. Low clouds were just clearing and the vis was good, with slight westerlies.
A couple of ultralight aircraft were just departing as I got there, and I was left with a long and for sure the widest runway I never landed on.

The runway is straight ahead:

Coming overhead:

And turning final:

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover

Last edited by Dan 57 : 05-17-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 PM

I then took a stroll along the beautiful white sand beach and across the peninsula to Traigh Iar beach, fantastic scenery all around.
Back at the aircraft, I sat down, ate my snack and relished the serenity of the moment: my colorful -6 sitting on the white sand with a background of sea and sky A fly-in is held at least once a year on the beach, but I sure selfishly enjoyed having the place all for me
Took off a while later and couldn’t help myself coming back for a touch & go just as some ultralights were nearing.
Back in Glenforsa for a cool pint of Tennents, taken on the wooden deck of the hotel overlooking its private pristine grass strip and the Sound of Mull, it was a time to reflect as to how fortunate we are

Beach pano:

-6 on sand:

Finals for Glenforsa:

Last edited by Dan 57 : 05-17-2021 at 06:20 AM.