- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Why not more Nord-Lock washers?

I've been wondering for some time why Nord-lock type washers are not used on our birds. They have a neat design that uses tension in the washer to rather than friction in the locking nut to provide the locking action. They are touted to be particularly good in high vibration environments. Interesting video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

I finally came across a set in my Matco brakes; the AN4 bolts that hold the pad opposite the plunger have Nord-like type washers. It's a bolt into a blind hole, so safety wire or Nord-locks are the only way to secure them.

My question to the VAF brain trust: Why aren't these washers used more frequently? On my IO-360, all the bolts use the ancient star washers as "lock washers." It sure seems they get smashed down pretty flat after one use. Is it the price?, love of pre Wright bro's technology, or some other reason(s)?

Last edited by wjb : 01-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 PM

Very impressive.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
I've been wondering for some time why Nord-lock type washers are not used on our birds. They have a neat design that uses tension in the washer to rather than friction in the locking nut to provide the locking action. They are touted to be particularly good in high vibration environments. Interesting video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

I finally came across a set in my Matco brakes; the AN4 bolts that hold the pad opposite the plunger have Nord-like type washers. It's a bolt into a blind hole, so safety wire or Nord-locks are the only way to secure them.

My question to the VAF brain trust: Why aren't these washers used more frequently? On my IO-360, all the bolts use the ancient star washers as "lock washers." It sure seems they get smashed down pretty flat after one use. Is it the price?, love of pre Wright bro's technology, or some other reason(s)?
Star washers are to be used only one time, then tossed. They are also cheaper.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 PM

I used Nord washers at the recommendation of B&C to mount my B&C starter to my IO-360. I replaced a broken SkyTec.

Cool video. Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 AM

because they weren't around 50 or 70 years ago when the conventions were set. If you haven't noticed, aviation folks are some of the most resistant to change that I have ever met. I suspect much stems from the regulatory issues. We still frown on people that have moved on from the tractor mags that we call "aviation grade."

Larry
Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 AM

Default They work really well

A colleague of mine coined the acronym NDS meaning: New, Diferent, Scary. It describes well the engineering world (not just aviation). Why we don?t use them... perhaps institutional momentum, but I can attest that nordlocks work and they work very well. These days I design systems that go into some of the most severe vibration environments around (high temperatures, with repeated short-duration accelerations well above 1000g) and nordlocks are our go-to. What we design are system-critical components where a failure can have life-ending consequences and I?ll sometime need to stand next to the thing while it?s operating so you bet your backside the nordlocks better work. I don?t ever trust promotional stuff about products, but in this case they work.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 AM

Nord-Lock is used on my Sensenich ground-adjustable prop on RV-12.

Perfect application...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 AM

After watching the video it looks like they damage the material being clamped. Would they still work if there was a flat washer under them?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWZ View Post
Would they still work if there was a flat washer under them?
No. They need to grip into the base material and the underside of the fastener?s head in order to prevent rotation of the fastener.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM

We use these on our Sno-Cat track tension lock nuts, 1" dia. extremely difficult to loosen. Yes, they work!