Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Default Ugh!! Back Riveting mistake!!

I just KNOW that I am the only one to do this, but just in case I'm wrong, here's what I did. I am in the process of backriveting the stiffeners onto the aileron skin. Everything was going well when I started riveting this rivet and discovered that the back plate had shifted and I had nothing for the rivet head to rest on for the flush finish. Wound up with a slight but unsightly divit in the surface of the skin.

I've already redimpled the hole but the entire thing still has this divit.. Wondering what magic procedure will help flatten this area around a new rivet... perhaps setting it back in the backing plate and then slightly hammering either with slow rivet gun or manual hammer, over a small socket that would surround the dimple, but drive down on the skin. Also has to the stiffener to help in the process.. I was hoping to send a few pics, but I can't seem to be able to do that, which is also very frustrating!!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:31 PM

I have no solution for you, but a similar spot on my elevator :/. So I'll listen in
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM

Way back in the 1900s (1999 to be exact), I did the same thing...smoothed it out as best as I could and just kept on trucking. That mistake along with the one where you let the skin come up off the plate so the rivet gun puts a different kind of dent in your skin. I don't think there's a total fix for this...
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Find the best auto body shop in your area. Ask that they let their best bump-out artist have a look at it. Some of those folks can do magic. I have seen a repair in 2024-T3 that's indistinguishable from the surrounding skin.

Magic - if the guy is good.
Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 10-28-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added comment about 2024
Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 PM

I saw your thread title and thought. I just did that last week to my rudder. I'm hoping it's less noticable as time goes on. My wife took about 30 seconds to find the error (longer than I expected) so I'm OK with it.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:28 PM

Once the metal is stretched it's practically impossible to shrink it back like it was before. At $41.75 plus shipping for a new A-801 skin, I wouldn't even think about taking it to a body shop.

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:34 PM

I did that with my rudder. That thud is the most sickening sound, isn't it? The .016 skin tore. I said swear words I didn't even know existed. I cut a new skin out of some .016 sheet we had laying around and made new stiffeners...no big deal. Even if you fill it, you will always see it. New aileron skins are cheap!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Thoughts & opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Once the metal is stretched it's practically impossible to shrink it back like it was before. At $41.75 plus shipping for a new A-801 skin, I wouldn't even think about taking it to a body shop.
Especially 2024 which has little ductility. New skin or make an depression to be filled. Use a high strength magnet to mark the back plate. I did the same thing.

RV-7
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 PM

One thing going for me here is that I could still designate that side as the underside of the aileron, instead of the top. But the OCD side of me wants to just order another skin and some new stiffeners and just be careful to NOT DO IT AGAIN!!

I may try the socket over the dimpled hole on the backplate idea, to see what happens! Stay tuned!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Once the metal is stretched it's practically impossible to shrink it back like it was before.
Exactly right. Ive done the same thing. Since I wasn't in a location where a skin could be sent easily, I made sure the "ding" ended up as an "innie" and had it filled.

I recommend that you move to the next part and let it settle a while. It will either fester, in which case you will replace the skin, or it will heal, in which case you will finish that aileron and skip forward to where you were when it healed.