- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM

Default ADS-B and smog?

My father-in-law and I flew up to Kentucky to pick up a plane this morning. We were cruising about 5500 feet past Nashville and he says, "Hey did you check weather?" I said, "Well yeah, it's supposed to be clear til this afternoon when the thunderstorms build up." Then he shows me this on the G3X Touch radar screen and says, "What the heck!" Looked like light to moderate rain covering the Nashville area... but the other picture is the view out the window in that direction. The METARs we got in the area all showed clear below 12,000 and good visibility.

There is an Air Quality Alert today, with a defined haze layer and a fair amount of smog. Would smog show up as moderate rain on ADS-B?

[IMG]2016-08-31_04-31-26 by jabiruchick, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]2016-08-31_04-31-58 by jabiruchick, on Flickr[/IMG]
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Thoughts & opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure about smog, but I know that on a recent flight past Savannah my ADS-B showed some nasty (red) cells in the area, where myself and other pilots all saw nothing but some low fluffy clouds. I brought it up with ATC and the controller said he was seeing it on his screen as well for the last hour but multiple PIREPS indicated nothing in the area. He said it may have something to do with the amount of moisture in the air or clouds, but he wasn't very sure. I am used to the radar being a bit inaccurate due to fast moving and changing Florida weather, but never seen it be that off, and apparently for an hour or more.

Chris
Old 08-31-2016, 05:48 PM

Cool Seen it here lately

I'm in Hopkinsville, KY and I have seen green and some yellow lately around here and nothing is out there. I've seen it at other times in the past also.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 PM

Same thing about 2weeks ago off the coast of San Pedro. ADSB showing lots of yellow in clear conditions.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 PM

Sounds like core software "upgrade".

RV-7
Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Default Don't play "You bet your life" with it.

We were flying from St. Simons island northbound last Friday and our ADSB showed red and magenta cells just off the coast and it was CAVU. Not little cells either, 15 to 20 miles across.

Sure makes you wonder when it wn't show stuff that's really there. Just another lesson on how NOT to use it when IMC n convective areas.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 PM

The weather radar NEXRAD has two modes; clear air and precipitation. Sometimes in the clear air mode it will pick up just about anything in the radar return and present it as precipitation. I've seen it many times where the map has a big light green blob or streaks on it, and the air is mostly clear, maybe a whisp of moisture or maybe even smoke/smog. When it gets darker green or yellow, then maybe there might be something there weatherwise.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 PM

I've seen XM NEXRAD show yellow when flying into forest fire smoke (visibility maybe 7-8 miles). Strangely, later in the same flight visibility in smoke was down to 3-4 miles, but XM showed nothing.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
The weather radar NEXRAD has two modes; clear air and precipitation. Sometimes in the clear air mode it will pick up just about anything in the radar return and present it as precipitation. I've seen it many times where the map has a big light green blob or streaks on it, and the air is mostly clear, maybe a whisp of moisture or maybe even smoke/smog. When it gets darker green or yellow, then maybe there might be something there weatherwise.
So in 2017 this may change. This is from the NEXRAD Wikipedia you linked, Upcoming 2017 VCP changes[edit]

In October, 2015, the National Weather Service announced[9] that an upcoming software update would eliminate multiple precipitation mode VCPs, and replace them with a single VCP intended to combine the best features of the VCPs being eliminated. An additional clear air mode will also be made available.
RV-10 N7631T 820hr Sold
RV-8 700+hr
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2016, 06:57 AM

Interesting..... I'll see if it's doing anything similar Friday morning.

I should be landing in Shelbyville for fuel at 8:00am or so. SYI is about our halfway point heading south. It's also about the right amount time for restroom breaks for the wife, daughter, and dog. We'll be passing back through the other direction on Monday.