- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:51 PM

Default John Farnham

I lost my wonderful father to cancer on Dec. 28th. Just posting a few photos here to celebrate his 63 year love affair with flying. He joined the RCAF in 1949 and was in for 27 years flying the Harvard, B25, P51, Vampire, T33, F86, Neptune, Argus and DC3 among others. The Canadair MK 6 Sabre with the Orenda engine (1400 lbs. more thrust than the J47) was his favorite airplane. He flew this in Europe in the mid to late '50s in an era that was a free-for-all dogfight arena for the huge NATO force there at the time. As they say- those were the days- never to be repeated and he was in it and loved it.

He later flew corporate in a PA31P and King Air E90 until 1996.

He helped me build my RV6A and we flew together a lot when it was done. I checked him out in it so he could borrow it whenever he wanted and he was always excited to tell me about his trips around Alberta. In 2008, we flew it together down to Reno for the air races which we went to many times. A very memorable trip in a plane we built together.

His last flight as PIC was on his 84th birthday in 2012 (last photo).

He lived and breathed aviation his whole life and spent 17,500 hours in the air. He really lived his dream, had a wonderful life and was an amazing father. Gonna miss you a lot Dad. Blue skies.

Rabat 1956. 430 squadron

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 450.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 01-02-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default What a wonderful life!

Sorry for your loss, but sure sounds like you had a good time together and he was successful in passing the torch!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Default Amazing father!

Obviously you were part of him living his dream; now you can carry it on. I extend to you and your family my most heartfelt sorrow and condolences.

Jeff

November Seven Victor Quebec

166 hours
Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Father

Great story Ross. What a wonderful man. He obviously left you great memories.
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 PM

My condolences and from an outsiders eyes, you are a lucky man to have such an aspiring father. I can see from your words you already knew that.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 PM

While you can celebrate a rich and full life, the end always seems to come too soon. My condolences.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Ross, Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. His passion for aviation seems to be passed on. It is good to hear he was not only your Dad but a best friend as well. Condolences on your family's loss.

RV-7
Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Wonderful

What a wonderful story. Sorry for your loss. Tonight we celebrate the good times you had with your father.

Respectfully,

RV-6 under construction
dues paid 2021
Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 PM

Default My condolences

Hi Ross,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I just spoke with a good friend of mine that knew your mother and father, Fern Villeneuve.

Fern told me that he just received a Christmas card from your parents and didn't know your father was ill. Fern called and spoke with your mom on the 29th and learned of his passing.

Fern told me that he first met your father initially in CFB Chatham after your father came back from France on the sabre, where your dad instructed on the T-33 and flew the sabres in Chatham. Fern said that your father was a great guy, a skilled pilot, and was a perfectionist! Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black! I asked Fern if your dad ever tried out for the Golden Hawks when Fern was the team leader, but he indicated that most of the guys that had families didn't volunteer. Wives thought it was too dangerous after a flight of sabres went in in Europe doing formation flying.

Were coming into an age where a lot of our flying legends are passing on. They lived in an amazing aviation era that will never be seen again. Amazing that guys like your father and Fern and so many others were thrown into single seat jets after only flying the T-6.

Wishing you and your family all the best in these tough times.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Sorry for your loss! I lost my Dad 10 yrs ago and it still hurts!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid