- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Boggered Hole

I was back riveting the elevator skin E00900A and I think the last hole came off of the metal plate and really made a mess of it. All the rest are beautiful. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? Should I try and remove the other rivets to take off the rib E-1008A, then try to re-dimple the skin there?
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 05-12-2014, 11:58 AM

I did two of these myself on my left wing yesterday so am interested too in suggestions. The other 998 rivets are perfect. I tried using the pop riveter with the pop rivet dies but with little success because the nail would break before enough force was applied to the dies. I'm thinking of running a small bolt through the dies and compressing them with a washer and nut, but sure would like to hear of a better way.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2020 Donation
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Where is this hole located upper of lower skin?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Upper Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman CYYJ View Post
Where is this hole located upper of lower skin?
Of course, upper!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 PM

If the c-frame fits there I would try and take the avery dimple dies and redimple both pieces together. Then check with a rivet to see how it sits. If the hole is a little enlarged you can either use a NAS rivet or one trick I had seen is to take a slightly longer rivet and pre squeeze a little on the hand squeezer to fatten it up slightly. Then set as normal.

Hope that helps. Happy riveting!

RV-7
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM

That figures! Redimple and rivet. If it looks ugly, come painting time fill, prime and then paint. It probably will be one of a few more.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM

I probably wouldn't have too much luck dimpling two pieces together - just was not one of my acquired skills.

I can't tell how many rivets you'd have to remove from the photo, I don't know the skin thickness, and I'm not sure about the line up of the pieces (ie., edge distances, etc.) but if it were possible to use the removal procedure described in another thread (search RVBUILDER2002), I'd probably pull off the skin and correct the dimple of each part. When it goes back together, I would expect that it would look pretty normal.

Probably the way I'd go.

Dan
KC2ZEL
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Can you get a look at it with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe or something to verify that there's no cracks in the skin? If there is, you may need to enlarge the hole and use an oops rivet as suggested above.
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Emp 70%
Happy to be a 2020 =VAF= contributor
Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Stoney, lots of good suggestions above to consider. I worked on my very similar issue last night that is right in center row between my inner and outer top wing skins. After careful inspection and consideration, I decided the dimple was no longer capable of taking a AN426-3 properly, so I I had no choice to go to a -4. I used my 1/8" pop rivet dies (early I tried the 3/32 but the nails kept breaking). Surprisingly, the 1/8" did a very good job of reshaping and flattening the skins around the dimple, however, the dimple was still a little buggered up to fit the head nice and flush. I took a countersink bit just between my fingers and very slightly put a couple of turns to reshape the dimple. Now a -4 will fit and I don't think it is too apparent it is size up. Heck, I have a -5 rivet in one skin hole and after paint I doubt it will be noticeable it sits so flush. Good luck.

My only other option was to drill out 11 rivets and redimple the hole. My odds are pretty good I would have made a mess of that.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2020 Donation
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Buggered Hole

I have had lots of practice removing rivets and have gotten pretty good at it, so I think I am going to remove the rivets, there are only 7 left and re-dimple both parts again and see how the dimples come out. There appears to be no cracks in the skin at this time. If it doesn't dimple well, I will dimple to #30 or -4 rivet and just have one that's a little bigger. I don't have a lot of confidence in trying to dimple both parts at the same time, together. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll post a picture of the result.