Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM

Default One more reason I love my RV

I just returned home from a grueling 36-hour trip from Ahmedabad, India, through the hellish Bombay airport, a 16-hour flight to the east coast of the US and then a 6-hour transcontinental flight. The long flight from India to the US wasn't the problem...it was the *planeload of screaming, bratty toddlers* on the US flight which just about pushed me over the edge. It was like round-robin shrieking, screaming and temper tantrums between 3 or 4 toddlers whose parents were either incapable of controlling them, or oblivious to the extreme irritation their little darlings were imposing on the entire plane.

But come Monday, it's me and MY airplane, departing when *I* want to, for a week of trips with me and my passengers, no pint-sized terror machines. I can't wait for the peacefulness of flying myself for Thanksgiving visits, and not having to deal with surly TSA agents, rotten parents, crappy airline food, etc.

I love my RV. I hate airline travel.

Now, if only I had an RV that I could use on these overseas trips.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM

What is airline travel?

I love my RV because she feeds me. For example I have only half a Subway sandwich in the fridge for tonight. But tomorrow if I don't starve overnight I go to SkykingBob in VA he said he is buying...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Default Stories

Vlad if you make it to Bobs Sunday, Pry some more Lycoming School stories out of him for the rest of us!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
Vlad if you make it to Bobs Sunday, Pry some more Lycoming School stories out of him for the rest of us!
I will try but food first.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Vlad needs to create a world map with cheapest fuel, cheapest accommodations, and best free food. He's better than Fodor's - he's "Vlador's Travel Guide"!

Joe - I hear you!

Last edited by humptybump : 11-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM

[quote=RV7A Flyer;828894]I just returned home from a grueling 36-hour trip from Ahmedabad, India, through the hellish Bombay airport, a 16-hour flight to the east coast of the US and then a 6-hour transcontinental flight. The long flight from India to the US wasn't the problem...it was the *planeload of screaming, bratty toddlers* on the US flight which just about pushed me over the edge. It was like round-robin shrieking, screaming and temper tantrums between 3 or 4 toddlers whose parents were either incapable of controlling them, or oblivious to the extreme irritation their little darlings were imposing on the entire plane.

I have solved the airline noise problem by traveling with a compact foldable passive noise head set. Peace and quiet. If I want audio I use ear buds under them. Don't hear any thing any more.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM

In the past, on my many oversea flights (passenger) earplugs solved most of the noise, but the kid kicking the back of my seat is a different matter. Once preparing to sleep overnight from Chicago to Frankfurt, after asking nice once, I just reached around the isle seat and grabbed his ankle, looked back to see saucer eyes and said "please don't do that". Mom was oblivious, but it was a quiet flight, that time anyway. Luckily, I was on the isle.

I am certainly looking forward to traveling by RV.

RV-7
Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM

That is why I vowed to NEVER fly into Orlando airport ever again. On the way there, the plane is full of brats who are whining because they're not at Disney World yet. On the way back, the plane is full of brats who are whining because they're not at Disney World any longer. Either way, it's like being in the crying room at church.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Flying with Brats

Just wait if the FAA/FCC allow cell phone calls in flight. You will have some guy arguing with his wife/girlfriend on one side and a guy telling his business associate that they need to order 500 gizmos for Tuesday. Oh and with a bad connection, they will just yell into the phone. I predict after this happens, the choice to fly your own plane will skyrocket. (forgive the pun)

S S Anderson
320 hours RV 7A
Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
...but the kid kicking the back of my seat is a different matter. ...
I'm of the opinion that Expedia, Priceline, and Kayak and all the rest are no longer capable of providing the best deals on travel. On a recent trip to Vegas, my wife and I were booked each way in separate seats (only seats available??), multiple layovers and stuck in the middle between beefy seatmates with screaming, kicking kids behind. To add insult to injury, I watched helpless as a non-stop flight boarded from Vegas to Bellingham. When I inquired about changing to that flight, I was told in so many words, "no".

I suspect some computer trickery that somehow manipulates seating and routing for flights sold via the online middle-men.

From now on, I research primary/secondary airports nearest my destination and the airlines serving them. Then, I'll deal directly with that airline. No more settling for the **** deals!

As an added note: Priceline customer service sucks! They failed to inform me of an itinerary change that had a major impact on our trip. And, they do not have a live customer service number. But, when I used their "customer-service" email app, I got a long winded explanation for how their records show they did inform me , blah...blah...blah. Totally unapologetic!

Last edited by N804RV : 11-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.